How Often Do You Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious how often people upgrade dive computers. Do you keep them through their warranty period...until firmware/support is no longer available. I've been using the same computer for quite a while. It works. It does what I want it to do. But for me, it's probably time. Just curious what other do.

Never.. lol.. I'm still diving regulators from the late 70's and early 80's...

Jim..

Whenever something breaks but is cheaper to replace than to repair.

I dove an Orca Edge from 1988-2015. Then upgraded to a Shearwater Perdix. Granted, the Edge was out of date much earlier than 2015, given that it only had an air algorithm. Regardless, it was a reliable computer. I expect the Shearwaters to be comparable.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking more in terms of dive computers. Technology changes, algorithms change...when is it time. I'm currently using a 10 yr old Oceanic VT Pro. I cannot get any support from Oceanic nor do they upgrade firmware. But it works.

If it still works keep using it as the algorithms have not changed significantly.

For the most part I have upgraded computers only when my diving required. For instance, UWATEC Air -> Suunto Cobra (NITROX) -> Suunto Vytec DS (Tech/Rec) -> Shearwater Petrel (better)-> Shearwater Perdix AI (even better).

Upgrading to a Shearwater has been great for my eyes and diving pleasure. Even my wife likes the screen and features.

I guess you could upgrade every year or two... The company's would tell you that's the best and LoL all the way to the bank..

Remember, All the Deco models are just that.. Models... And when you look at them with open eyes and a open mind.. They are all very closely linked.. Some of the models like a deep stop and others don't.. Unless you're diving deep and playing with mixed gases.. What you got is fine..

Jim..

Last edited:
Bought my first ever dive computer(Uwatec Aladin Pro Air) in 1997. Bought another Aladin(Pro Nitrox) a year later.The Air computer died about 2 yrs ago so I bought an Oceanic Veo 180 as a back up to my ageing Pro Nitrox.
If I have a choice I prefer whatever algorithm Aladin used over anything else.

Computer upgrading? I hate to see my remaining Aladin die.

We upgrade when something happens to force it. We started with Suunto SME/MLs which I think was close to their first real dive computer. They had to be sent in to change the battery. When UPS lost our computers on the way back right before a trip, Suunto kindly sent us a pair of their latest model, the Solution, then told us we could keep the new ones. (Really good customer service back then!) Then we did Nitrox and got Vypers, using the Solution as a backup and sometimes doing pretend deco stops just to keep the air-only backup happy. When that got old, we dumped the Solutions and got Gekkos for backup. We're still diving with those models, having bought 1-2 of the same used along the way to replace something that got flooded.

That early free computer experience kept us loyal to Suunto for awhile. Might have moved to some other computer line by now, but we've currently got 5 of these. We're used to them and they do the job, so it's hard to justify spending a bunch upgrading. But one of these days I will get tempted by a pretty display. Or maybe by a battery door that's not such a PITA.

Used a Mares, can't recall model, from around 95 to 02.
2002 to 2007 was a Sunnto ,gawd I can't remember models. Mosquito?
2007 to current I must have gone PDC crazy.
2007 a couple Sunnto Vyper Air's which I still have and will sell very soon.
2009 Sunnto HelO2, bought for tech. Flooded after a bad battery replacement job a few months ago before I could sell it.
2012 Mares Icon HD, because the screen was easier to read. Sits in the drawer. Should sell it.
2015 Shearwater Petrel2. Bought as a primary tech to use with the HelO2.
2017 Sherwater Perdix AI. Primary rec and secondary tec since the HelO2 flooded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom