Question How old are you and how long certified? Poll- please take part!

How old are you and how long certified?

• 10-18

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • 19-29

Votes: 81 8.4%
  • 30-39

Votes: 153 15.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 199 20.5%
  • 50-59

Votes: 231 23.8%
  • 60-69

Votes: 213 22.0%
  • 70-79

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 80-89

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • 90 and over

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my, I never thought that the majority of divers on SB are the "wise and mature" older folks. Amazing and encouraging.

I wish all of you many decades of diving in all great health, prosperity, happiness, peace and most awesome diving!

(With SP and Atomic equipment of course)

Oh my, I never thought that the majority of divers on SB are old folks. Amazing and encouraging.

I wish all of you many decades of diving in all health, prosperity, happiness, peace and most awesome diving!

(With SP and Atomic equipment of course)
I was really surprised too.

Im guessing that there would more ad revenue generated for Advil and icy hot patches🤣. I know i use more than my fair share of those products already.

Oh my, I never thought that the majority of divers on SB are old folks. Amazing and encouraging.
It makes sense in that older people, generally, have more time (especially if they're retired) and money.

I am 69 and was certified by NASDS in 1974. Dove as a vacation diver with about 25 dives over 5 years. Quit diving and had a family. Recertified in 2011 as an OW diver. I have 330 dives since 2011, about 1/4 are boat dives with most of those done while on vacation. Of the remaining, 1/2 are cold water mostly in a quarry, a few in Lake Michigan, and 44 are solo dives. Since 2011 I've spent about $20k so far.

I am in my late 20s but have been diving for 10+ years (on and off). Very thankful that my dad got me interested from a very young age.

Reading this thread and seeing the poll results, I am honestly surprised that the majority of divers on SB are 40+. I really enjoy the discussions and knowledge gained through this forum, but it does not seem to have translated to my peers.

certified in 1984 (long course, it was NAUI:)
Got certified 1984.
did not get a civilian dive card until 1984, NAUI advanced
Around 1984 is a year a lot of divers started to find they needed a cert card for fills I see from the posts so far.
Even if they knew you, a card was required.

That's in Australia for me, I had no trouble getting fills before that from civilian shops.

Age: Mid-60's. Dad taught me to dive in 1967. He would take me on spearfishing dives all over - local in Laguna Beach and even spearfishing trips to Jamaica in 1968 and Cozumel in 1969. We had a place at the beach so was usually able to do several dives a week. Eventually needed to get certified to buy air so got certified by Laguna Sea Sports in 1976. S**t-ton of dives since 1967. Still try to get out once a week, weather and sea conditions permitting.

54 and certified for 34 years - but I only had maybe 15 dives between 1988 and 1998, when I took a long break. Picked it up again one year ago.

I've found that if a diver has a purpose underwater, they tend to dive more. Most of my friends are underwater photographers, hunters, or wreck enthusiasts. Many are diving actively into their late 70s, and early 80s. The divers I've known who only dived for certification cards or skills usually stop diving after they reached their goal of perfect trim. I also know a couple who have around 500 dives, but only a handful of them are without an instructor.

It makes sense in that older people, generally, have more time (especially if they're retired) and money.

I am 69 and was certified by NASDS in 1974. Dove as a vacation diver with about 25 dives over 5 years. Quit diving and had a family. Recertified in 2011 as an OW diver. I have 330 dives since 2011, about 1/4 are boat dives with most of those done while on vacation. Of the remaining, 1/2 are cold water mostly in a quarry, a few in Lake Michigan, and 44 are solo dives. Since 2011 I've spent about $20k so far.
I don’t really have the time or money, but I do it anyway. I’m only 60 so I have about 20 more years before I retire, then the diving really starts!

What is this "retire" word you speak of?

I figure I'm working until the bitter end. In fact, I predict the messy end with the EMT service pumping on my chest, and someone saying "Think you could get him to sign this?". I secretly hope it is an aneurism, and it is messy for them to clean up in my office....

If I have to stick it out that long, someone is going to have to pay the price for it....

(I hope people recognize my dark humor/sarcasm here)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom