Question How old are you and how long certified? Poll- please take part!

How old are you and how long certified?

• 10-18

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • 19-29

Votes: 81 8.4%
  • 30-39

Votes: 153 15.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 199 20.5%
  • 50-59

Votes: 231 23.8%
  • 60-69

Votes: 213 22.0%
  • 70-79

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 80-89

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • 90 and over

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived in LA, we had 7 channels, CBS, NBC, ABC. and 4 local channels. Deluxe
Sure, but the kid still had to get up and change the channel.

My step-dad will watch 4 shows simultaneously, on volume 62. i keep threatening to take away his remote. He hates the commercials, I hate the constant jarring change in flow.

Now, get off my lawn.

51, certified OW in 2014, little over 100 dives. Warm water rec diving, primarily in Roatan but willing to travel elsewhere. Went on a dive trip to Bali for our 25th wedding anniversary

certifided in 1980 at 16. I am not sure what this polls shows. It might be that diving is a sport for old farts, because it is expensive and is not as tough on the knees as rugby. It might show that ScubaBoard is for old farts because it is low tech. I wonder how it would look if you did the same survey on FB or Reddit.

72 years old . took class at 18 years old was taught on double hose. at 16 years old years used a evinrude aquanaut( surface supplied air source). went to library and read up on diving.

This poses another question, one that would be difficult to obtain an accurate poll for, and that would be to find out how many active divers there are out of the entire population of certified divers.
Easy. Just start a poll asking people who don't dive any more how old they are and why they quit. :wink:
Most of my friends are underwater photographers, hunters, or wreck enthusiasts.
I have long observed that veteran divers drift to such activities in order to maintain their interest. I tried photography and soon realized that I was really bad at it. I tried videography and got great results, but I realized no one wanted to see those great results. So I quit that, too.

OK, I will soon be 73. I am not happy about that, but, as they say, it beats the alternative.

In my quarter century of diving, I have set goals for when I will stop logging dives. I first said I would stop at 500 dives, then I said 1,000. Then I said I would stop at 1,000 hours of accumulated bottom time. I don't know now. I think the next "stop logging" milestone will be 2 full months under water. At my current rate of diving (greatly diminished in recent years), that could take a couple years.

Old enough to remember black & white TV, rotary telephones, and party lines.

Old enough to remember nuclear attack drills in elementary school.
We never had a party line, everything else.

We had a rotating job all the way through elementary school, the curtain monitor. We had a large bank of windows on one wall of the school room. When the air raid siren went off, the curtain monitors would close the heavy black out curtains so that when the bomb went off, the glass would not blow into the room. After closing the curtains, the monitors would join everyone else, huddled under their desks with hands over your head. The teacher had a bigger, sturdier desk :)
maybe he should have said he remembered getting up to change the (relatively few) channels, to adjust the volume or move the rabbit ears to better the picture......

Or he knows what a test pattern is...
Ha, we had an antenna up on the roof, strapped to the chimney. To set up, dad had to be up there to rotate the antenna while we had a relay to tell him if the picture was better or worse. Very rich people had an electric antenna rotator.
I remember 2 (cbs) 4 (nbc) 7 (abc) I think 5, 10, and 13 with the one Spanish station 31?
We had CBS 2, NBC 4, ABC 7 and 5, 9, 11 and 13.
three channels (the 3 major networks) and PBS on UHF. Later on an amazing event of getting an additional UHF channel (23 as I recall, but maybe not...).
UHF was tricky, often would not come in well. Don't think we had UHF in my early TV career. PBS had not yet started when I was kid.

Back
Top Bottom