How rare is extended range trimix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get to Doria type depth of 240 or so a lot closer to home. But I don't think you can get to 300 until you get to the Hudson Canyon. That's a long way out.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I thought you purchased a rebreather because you were too busy working to actually go diving. :p

Shhhh :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax
The Atlantic shelf has a few spots all over that run that depth range. The Pacific is somewhat more variable because it's a "newer" coast.

How cold is the 320' range in the sound?

Can't say personally ... deepest I've ever been here's about 250. At that depth it ain't much different than at recreational depths.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In Australia the cost would be in the order of $300 for the helium back gas/first deco and another $45 for deco gas.

Doing my advanced Trimix in August.

That's a pretty dangerous proposition.

Normoxic and Hypoxic Trimix are very different creatures. Anyone who does Normoxic Trimix training and thinks it's good enough for Hypoxic mixes is taking a real risk.
I've done a few dives on 15/55 in the 240 range without taking a hypoxic course and I cannot recall any knowledge gaps that made me think it was a bad idea. I'm curious which topics you feel aren't in a normoxic course that are covered in a hypoxic course.

Hypoxic protocol and midwater bottle rotations are a couple of unique skill sets you wouldn't encounter until a tech 2 level course

I've done a few dives on 15/55 in the 240 range without taking a hypoxic course and I cannot recall any knowledge gaps that made me think it was a bad idea. I'm curious which topics you feel aren't in a normoxic course that are covered in a hypoxic course.

The planning differs quite a bit wrt isobaric counter diffusion. In the 150' range it's not really much of a risk. That changes when you start getting closer to 300'.

The planning differs quite a bit wrt isobaric counter diffusion. In the 150' range it's not really much of a risk. That changes when you start getting closer to 300'.

I'm 99% sure ICD was at least discussed during my NAUI Trimix course, unless my recollection of it is just from the Deco for Divers book. It's been a while, so I won't make any assumptions and admit that my memory is fuzzy on this. Either way, I think David Doolette has some rather strong arguments against how ICD is traditionally presented, and I'll confess to ignoring the concept.

Sure. However he had stated that there wasn't a difference planning a 300' dive vs a 150' dive. Gas selection is a part of dive planning. When planning a 150' dive ibcd is less of a concern given that you'd be breathing a pretty light trimix... It does play a role in your planning for a 300' dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom