How safe is Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the State Department would issue honest warnings about conditions in the U.S., most people would move to Mexico.

There is crime, to be sure. Look at the reports of fraudulent ATMs, and cab drivers can downright greedy, but no one will demand your money at gunpoint here. The worst you can expect is to be hassled by overzealous timeshare or jewelry salesman, but after the third or fourth vociferous "no, gracias", you're left alone.

If the State Department would issue honest warnings about conditions in the U.S., most people would move to Mexico.

There is crime, to be sure. Look at the reports of fraudulent ATMs, and cab drivers can downright greedy, but no one will demand your money at gunpoint here. The worst you can expect is to be hassled by overzealous timeshare or jewelry salesman, but after the third or fourth vociferous "no, gracias", you're left alone.

Well, you know I haven't even found the timeshare people that bad. I remember when we took a couple with us and he blew out his flip flop. (there was no pop top involved.) We went to mega and this really nice lady led him from the entrance to the flip flops and helped him size a pair up and then to a check out. THEN she tried to talk him into a time share visit. Very nice lady and he did finally get away without losing a day to the tour.

As for the headlines, I think a post thread of 'is Coz safe" is better than the news 'Mex violence up'. And I think reading some of the local news, They had an article the other day that their 911 is getting 4 theft calls on average per day. For the size of the population, that's low, but they are concerned about it. That and articles about local guys on motorcycles hitting fixed objects drunk and doing themselves harm. Reefhound you make the great point, compare Coz to a place of the same size here and I think you will find Coz very safe. As for the travel warnings, I don't have a good grasp of Mexican geography, so while I don't see the Yucatan mentioned, I would be hard pressed to locate some of the others mentioned.

Not pounding but I think one should make an attempt to be informed. Read the news reports for the details and google "cozumel drug cartels" would have answered the question.
Asking the question of people who are presumably knowledgeable is "an attempt to be informed."

Kudos to you, Chickmama, for putting your grandchildren's safety first, and for asking a perfectly reasonable question.

I read through this thread and it baffles me that a few would comment about the question being asked. Why open the thread and comment at all if you feel overwhelmed by how many times it is asked?

This person is fairly new to scuba boards and asked advice on a area regarding current situations. I always asked just before going someplace. If you feel like it is to much trouble to help me understand the current situation because you answered it for someone else a few weeks back, please skip over the thread.

Kevin, got a call from the Island: They are actually worried about your kids wandering freely..... :rofl4:
(The answer is: Yes, I do amuse myself....:wink: )

Kevin, got a call from the Island: They are actually worried about your kids wandering freely..... :rofl4:
(The answer is: Yes, I do amuse myself....:wink: )

You meant to say the Continent of Cozumel.....didn't you?:wink:

Mike

I guess the P.C. term now would be back in town. I still prefer the term the 'hood..... there, it doesn't seem to have a negative ring to it. I feel safer there than in downtown Austin. Maybe that's why I live in Buda in the States instead of Austin now. I still prefer to be in Cozumel. Two more years & we should be able to spend more time in Coz than in the U.S.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom