How safe is cruising?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the group that never thought they would enjoy a cruise. But, my wife wanted to go on a cruise for our 20th so we went on RCL to Nassau. I had a great time, and so did she. we found enough to do together on the ship and had great fun exploring Nassau and on Coco Cay we soaked up a lot of carribean sunshine. Last year we took our kids and cruised miami-key west- coz and again had a great time. I have no safety concerns while on ship, and on land just be aware and stick to the well traveled areas.

I am sure that cruising is not for everyone, and I would choose a week fishing in Alaska over a cruise any day, but for a fun, cost-controlled (well if you don't drink much like me) nothing to worry over vacation I think its tough to beat a cruise. If you can go the week AFTER a winter holiday the trips are pretty cheap too. Last year we got our cabins for $289 each the week after new year's day, the week before the same cabin was over $600.

Jerry

On a cruise ship, your fellow passengers can afford to cruise, so they're not a demographic likely to mug you, do a 'home invasion' of your room, etc...

Most cruise ships are registered in foreign countries & make sure to stop at at least 1 foreign port per trip to avoid falling under U.S. labor laws, so they can take advantage of cheap foreign labor from people who, from what I've read, competed to get those cruise ship jobs (despite long hours, little time off, low pay & extended trips away from family). So the crew aren't likely to hurt you, either. Most I've dealt with seemed like good people, anyway, and all need their jobs.

On the islands, you can generally stay out of trouble.

Richard.

Since we heard lots of cruises going bad we might be feeling sceptical about going on a cruise but it is pretty safe I reckon.

But if there is a crime on the ship, especially if an employee is the criminal, then you can expect the cruiseline to try to cover it up and get the criminal out of the US to prevent any real prosecution.

Disney Cruise Line fails to promptly report molestation of 11-year-old girl in port | news - Home

For all of the really good and neat things Disney does, it is a shame that they would cover-up a sex assault by one of its employees and then let the child molester go back to his home country, where no doubt he is practicing his sick perversions on children there, just to uphold a "Magical Image" on their ship...again another example of a large corporation doing anything for a profit.

Shame on you Disney :no:

Since we heard lots of cruises going bad we might be feeling sceptical about going on a cruise but it is pretty safe I reckon.

Have you actually read any of the above posts??? Where have you heard about all these cruises going bad?? To that end, if you walk around piss-drunk with money hanging out of your pockets...YES, you will lose some of that money - whether it is through you spending it or someone else helping themself to it.

In port, you are in a foreign country coming off of a ship that locals know people have money on. Note here.... Poor people do not cruise. Don't be an idiot in port and you will be fine. If you emulate a drunken sailor, you better have a bunch of buddies to pick out that new tattoo you are going to get, or help you back onto the ship.

'nuff said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom