How should the Discover Scuba course go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would guess (not an instructor so I don't know the exact requirements) that if they had been fully logged & signed off by an instructor(with a view to doing OW in the future), you might be able to count them even if it was another instructor (in a similar way to doing Scuba Diver and then OW).

Doing so would be a clear violation of standards.

Am curious. Anyone know if a logged dive during DSD counts as one toward later courses that require a certain # of logged dives?

great question - according to the IM:
Logged Dives​
To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takesplace in open water and specific information about the dive (i.e.date, time, location, depth, profile, etc.) is recorded. Training​
dives for PADI courses (in open water) qualify as logged dives.

Given that there are no logbook police, I imagine if you wanted to count it, you could.

Now I am confused as you have said doing so would violate standards however this leads me to think otherwise:

great question - according to the IM:
Logged Dives​
To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takesplace in open water and specific information about the dive (i.e.date, time, location, depth, profile, etc.) is recorded. Training​
dives for PADI courses (in open water) qualify as logged dives.

Given that there are no logbook police, I imagine if you wanted to count it, you could.

:confused::idk::loopy:

I'm not so sure there is clarity on that - at least in recent & current instructor manuals - plus the guide to teaching states the following:
Use the​
Discover Scuba Diving Participant Guide for every experience (pool, confined openwater and open water) to go over information with participants. Beyond the knowledge andskills overview, the guide includes the administrative paperwork requirements for Discover ScubaDiving and includes a written Knowledge and Safety Review. Participants answer questionsbased on your briefing and review of the safety rules. Participants must have a completeunderstanding of this safety information before getting in the water on scuba equipment. After
the experience, have participants log their dives on the pages provided in the guide.

Now I am confused as you have said doing so would violate standards however this leads me to think otherwise:

:confused::idk::loopy:

There are specific rules about linking dives between courses. The one you asked me about was between DSD and the open water course. Here are those rules as stated on pages 41-42 of the manual:

Discover Scuba Diving to Open Water Diver Course

If you (the instructor) conduct and ensure that participants
master Open Water Diver course Confined Water Dive 1 skills
during the Discover Scuba Diving program, participants are
eligible for Confined Water Dive 1 credit.

If you (the instructor) goes on to brief and conduct Open
Water Dive 1 with the participants who have mastered
General Standards and Procedures
Confined Water Dive 1 skills, they are eligible to get credit for
completing Open Water Dive 1.

There are specific rules about linking dives between courses. The one you asked me about was between DSD and the open water course. Here are those rules as stated on pages 41-42 of the manual:

totally agree about this for linking dives BUT the question was about about logging dives. more info that doesn't add clarity to this in the GTT - If a student diver does not successfully complete all the skills required for a dive, you can havethe diver log the dive on a regular log page – not on the course-specific training log page. This
allows the student diver to log every dive and ensures that the diver won’t mistakenly get credit
for the training dive until meeting all the dive requirements.

I think we're in a place where "call PADI for the intent" is called for./.

totally agree about this for linking dives BUT the question was about about logging dives.
You missed the context of what I wrote. Here is what I wrote first.

With PADI, if the instructor who conducts the Discover Scuba training goes on to teach the OW course, and if that instructor covered all the requirements of the first confined water dive during the Discover Scuba class, then that Discover Scuba class can count as the first confined water dive. You cannot accept another instructor's word for it--it has to be the same instructor for both.

With PADI, if the instructor who conducts the Discover Scuba training goes on to teach the OW course, and if that instructor covered all the requirements of the first open water dive during the Discover Scuba class, then that Discover Scuba class can count as the first open water dive. You cannot accept another instructor's word for it--it has to be the same instructor for both.

Then Neilwood wrote:
I would guess (not an instructor so I don't know the exact requirements) that if they had been fully logged & signed off by an instructor(with a view to doing OW in the future), you might be able to count them even if it was another instructor (in a similar way to doing Scuba Diver and then OW).
and I responded...

You're right - out of context I assumed you were commenting on something you weren't. The question that it still open in my eyes is can someone presenting their 40 logged dives to enter a DM class count any OW dives they "logged" as part of any number of DSDs they did. My gut says no, but I can't find anything written to support that.

Back
Top Bottom