How strong a swimmer do you need to be to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be certified you don't need to know how to swim (with some agencies) other than snorkeling on the surface for 300m (1000 ft) in unlimited time (PADI req, I think SSI is similar), but from a safety standpoint it's a good idea to be a strong swimmer. Also, some instructors may apply their own standards.

*Floater*:
To be certified you don't need to know how to swim (with some agencies) other than snorkeling on the surface for 300m (1000 ft) in unlimited time (PADI req, I think SSI is similar),

That's swimming.

but from a safety standpoint it's a good idea to be a strong swimmer. Also, some instructors may apply their own standards.

Most agencies don't allow that.

Dive-aholic:
That's swimming.

I disagree because my girlfriend, who for practical purposes did not know how to swim at the time, was able to do that and get her OW cert.

A wetsuit can give you the extra buoyancy to stay afloat, the snorkel and mask enable you to "swim" without being able to keep you head above water, and the fins give you extra propulsion making the 300m possible even for someone that has never swim-kicked before. But I guess it's a question of definition. I personally don't consider that swimming.

Ah, what memories! At 40 years old I get certified, I make my 4 laps down
and back in a olympic pool chasing a 12 year old, thinking, "I'm not going to
let this little whipper snapper beat me!" I spent the rest of my time floating
on my back exhausted! I've never had to expend that much energy since!

*Floater*:
I disagree because my girlfriend, who for practical purposes did not know how to swim at the time, was able to do that and get her OW cert.

A wetsuit can give you the extra buoyancy to stay afloat, the snorkel and mask enable you to "swim" without being able to keep you head above water, and the fins give you extra propulsion making the 300m possible even for someone that has never swim-kicked before. But I guess it's a question of definition. I personally don't consider that swimming.

It's still a form of swimming. There are several different strokes. You can also swim on the surface and underwater.

Also, allowing a student to wear a wetsuit during this swim test is against standards (PADI's, anyway). The mask, snorkel, fin option is still supposed to be done in just a swim suit.

Not being a strong swimmer is fine. But if you have a phobia being in the water see a shrink, not a scuba instructor. They are paid on an entirely different scale than us.

I think folks have well stated the idea that Scuba diving does not require the same skills as someone like a lifeguard or competition swimmer would need. However being able to swim well will enable you to be comfortable in the water environment and not worry about "what if I lose my fins" or "what if my mask comes off" etc.. because in learning to swim you learn without all the aids you have in Scuba. When you donn the equipment in scuba you have to learn a new set of skills, but knowing you what you can accomplish without any gear on can have a tremendous impact on how quickly you learn with the gear on ... imho.

In my BOW class 2 of us grew up in and around the water, swimming frequently. The other 2 did not. The 2 non-swimmers had habits that we did not have which were difficult to overcome. ie - one of them would constantly do the "doggie paddle" with his hands, and to this day has not broken that habit, though it does nothing but expend energy (thus using up air at an increased rate) The other one had great trouble being in the water without a mask on ... both of these were because they were not comfortable just "being" in the water. The water was not a place of relaxation for them, it was an element to fight against. That imho is the advantage being a comfortable swimmer brings to scuba...

my .02 cents fwiw

Aloha, Tim

Snorkeling is not swimming, although some would have you think it is. They are two different skills. It is quite easy for a non-swimmer to snorkel 300 yds. It does open up the market to non-swimmers, which I believe was the purpose of the change in standards.

Strong swimmer? Not necessarily. A competent, efficient swimmer. Most certainly. Swimming is propulsion through the water using a natural means, such as arms and legs. Ideally, you would gain comfort by swimming and using this natural means. If you spend some time swimming, the snorkeling would likely be an easy transition. But if you rely on the fins for propulsion then you may experience some difficulty if you are ever in a situation that requires a lengthy "natural swim".
Your conditioning will only enhance your experience with rec scuba.

First, let me say that I am a newb and know very little about the sport of scuba diving.

I recently went through open water certification classes. The most physically difficult class for me was the first when they had us swim the 200 yds (any stroke, unlimited time) and tread water for 10 mins. If you can do that, you'll have met the physical requirements to get through the class.

However.. (this is where I recite someone else's opinion in the hope of giving you food for thought), like any other sport, proficiency in skills adds to the your safety and enjoyment. Do you need to be proficient at different kick techniques to dive? No, but as I understand it, you would enjoy yourself more and be more relaxed if you did. Do you need to be proficient at buoyancy? Again, it is something that I have heard lets you be in better control and keeps your from accidental ascents and descents (issues I am personally still working on).

I personally think that swimming profiency can help you be more comfortable particularly in the unlikely event that things go south on a dive. As an example, if you had to assist your buddy back to shore, strong swimming skills would definitely be a plus. Also, if you find yourself in a situation where you are unable to return to your exit point underwater and have to fight waves and outgoing tide, more swimming capacity is better than less. These situations are definitely unlikely scenarios but it only seems prudent to be prepared to save your own bacon (and that of your buddy's) if the need ever arises.

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom