How tight to tighten VYPER AIR TRANSMITTER?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esguerra1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a Vyper Air with transmitter and attached it to my first stage....but I'm not sure how tight to tighten it/screw it in. I know it's not supposed to be jammed in there as the o-ring is the one that provides the seal. But is it like a reg yoke-valve connection where you just tighten it "finger tight?"

The manual says "Thread the high pressure transmitter of the Suunto Vyper Air into the HP port of your regulator with your fingers. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Maximum torque 6 Nm/4.4 lbs.ft. or 53 lbs.in. The seal is based on a static O-ring, not force!"

How much torque is 6 Nm/4.4 lbs.ft. or 53 lbs.in.?? Is laymans terms for that "finger tight?"

Cheers,

4.4 lbs feet is not very tight. It is difficult to tell with out a torque wrench. You don't want it to unscrew accidentally as it can extrude the O ring and you will need to surface as once the O ring extrudes the only way to stop it is to turn the air off, replace the O ring and reassemble.
You are probably wanting to avoid buying a torque wrench for this task. Understandable. You can do a couple things. Go to a store that sells torque wrenchs. Grab it and a 3/8'' open end wrench , put the open end wrench onto the drive square of the torque wrench and work it to give your hand an idea of how much of your strength it takes. Do it a bunch of times till you think you have an idea of what it feels like. Then do your transmitter when you get home or back to your car.
Or, go to a car shop and give the guy a six pack if he will tighten it for you. But you still won't have a feel for 4.4 lbs. feet.
Ideally screw it in till it stops solidly and then with a wrench just tighten a touch so it won't accidentally unscrew.

Randy

4.4 foot pounds seems excessive - torque specifications for port plugs or hoses is 20 +/- 2 inch pounds. The transmitter should be about the same.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies. Yeah, I don't have a torque wrench and don't really need to buy one just for this. I'm sure any LDS can help me out but essentially I did what you guys mentioned - just tightened it finger tight, then took a wrench and ever so gently tightened it a tad bit more so it won't come loose. Thanks for the advice. We'll see how this works on my next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom