Question How to Address Wetsuit Zipper Slipping – Velcro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlwaysANewbieDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been experiencing issues with the zipper on my scuba diving wetsuit frequently slipping down, causing discomfort. To resolve this problem, I am considering adding Velcro but would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed.

I'm looking for advice on how to properly add Velcro, including the type of Velcro that would be suitable.

Also, are there specific areas around the zipper or elsewhere on the wetsuit where Velcro is commonly attached? Understanding the optimal attachment points would be helpful.

Your shared experiences and advice on attaching a velcro on the wetsuit will be highly beneficial. Thank you!

If the zipper slips down, the wetsuit is too small, buy the same suit one size bigger. You can try Velcro maybe it will work if you don't want to get a new wetsuit.

When you put the pull down does it lock the slider, get a slider that does and some stops if it doesn't
That's where the velcro goes

Many wetsuits come with a zipper 'Leash ' that is about 2 feet long. Pull the zipper up then TIGHTLY stuff the leash inside the collar to one side of your neck and stuff it down till the leash is tight. If your zipper doesn't have a leash,,, you can easily make one from a thin rope attached to the zipper.

If the zipper slips down, the wetsuit is too small, buy the same suit one size bigger. You can try Velcro maybe it will work if you don't want to get a new wetsuit.
Hey, thanks for the tip! Going up one size did help with the zipper issue, but left me with this big gap in the waist area – not the most comfortable and it makes me sooo cold. So, I'm thinking of giving Velcro a shot before committing to a new wetsuit.

Hey, thanks for the tip! Going up one size did help with the zipper issue, but left me with this big gap in the waist area – not the most comfortable and it makes me sooo cold. So, I'm thinking of giving Velcro a shot before committing to a new wetsuit.
2 features that i think are important in a wet suit are super stretch neoprene 250%, and water tight wrist and ankles seals. Try Oniel heat 4/3

2 features that i think are important in a wet suit are super stretch neoprene 250%, and water tight wrist and ankles seals. Try Oniel heat 4/3

Wetsuits intended for surfers (like O'Neill suits) are generally very, very stretchy, and also not very compression-resistant. They don't need to be compression-resistant, as they are intended to just be used on the surface.

When a suit like that is used for scuba diving, they generally compress more than a suit intended for scuba diving. The result is, the suit is thinner, at depth, and therefore not as warm.

Many wetsuits come with a zipper 'Leash ' that is about 2 feet long. Pull the zipper up then TIGHTLY stuff the leash inside the collar to one side of your neck and stuff it down till the leash is tight. If your zipper doesn't have a leash,,, you can easily make one from a thin rope attached to the zipper.

^this!

Also, if your suit is too small and the next size up is too big, then try a different brand. Every brand has their own "fit". A different brand might fit you just right.

Also, better quality wetsuits generally have some type of velcro arrangement already on the suit that keeps the zipper from slipping down.

Wetsuits intended for surfers (like O'Neill suits) are generally very, very stretchy, and also not very compression-resistant. They don't need to be compression-resistant, as they are intended to just be used on the surface.

When a suit like that is used for scuba diving, they generally compress more than a suit intended for scuba diving. The result is, the suit is thinner, at depth, and therefore not as warm.
I have several of the Oniel heat 4/3, and I did a lot of deep diving up to148 ft and never had that problem with the Oniel heat 4/3. I even gave one to an instructor and he used it for 3 years, and it was still like new. I did experience that problem with an EVO 3mm wetsuit $99, it looked thinner after using it in deep water. The techno butter 3 material is very compression resistant, they don't promote it for divers but I tested it and its good.

Also, are there specific areas around the zipper or elsewhere on the wetsuit where Velcro is commonly attached? Understanding the optimal attachment points would be helpful.
When you zip the suit all the way up, the zipper pull should lie flat, overtop of the velcro tab.

This screenshot shows the same principle in action on a neoprene bootie.
1700722422518.png

Back
Top Bottom