How To Attach New Smb ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, kiddies...another "newbie question"...I finally got around to purchasing a nice,big orange SMB and a 100' finger reel. The reel will pack away in one of the pockets of my BCD but now, I'm wondering the best place to stow the rolled-up SMB. I've seen divers wearing them attached to the outside of their BCD's. Where do you attach it ?

Bottom left of BCD if with pony and camera, reel also on left Leave right side free for camera.
Bottom right of BCD if no camera, reel also on right
In the left pocket of dive shorts if looking for teeth at 100ft. reel on left, bag for teeth on right. Reel probably used during the dive.

Note that I carry a reel and not a finger spool. Point is that I want it out of the way but easily assessible.

My reel is a regular reel. In low viz situations it may be used to find way back to the anchor line easily.

you may want to consider attaching the spool to the smb and store them together. Makes deployment easier. plenty of youtube videos e.g. search for UTD and smb

I attach a number of ways. My Dan SMB and finger spool clipped together either in my BCD pocket or attached to a d-ring on the either side of the BCD. I prefer it not floppy around. I have a thigh pocket that I have used as well.

Finger spool in the DSMB bag, which is clipped and strapped down to the right side of the backplate with a small loop of bungee cord. Simple and effective so far, and quite nicely streamlined.

I clip both to a d-ring on my crotch strap, which is about 5-6" (about a fist) down from the bottom of my backplate. The spool and SMB hang out back there without getting in the way and are easy to reach.

I dive a non-weight integrated BCD, which has fairly large pockets, and for streamlining purposes, I put both the SMBD and full-sized reel in my left pocket, with my slate, scissors and back-up light in the right one.

I have a mesh pouch that is attached to the back plate on my BC. The surface marker is very easy to get to and is out of the way on the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom