How to become certified technician?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

binobanana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since i am going Pro! I am asking where do i have to go, to become a certified Scuba gear technician? If anybody knows a address (link or e-mail), where i can get more info about cost and where to go?

I am learning from my scuba shop where i work saturdays! But if i can get a dealer like mares, Poseidon, oceanic or what ever i am not specific into a brand?

Thanks and merry Christmas

I'm pretty sure EASE out of Vero Beach does it... but unsure of their brands. I'm guessing either scubapro or aqualung.

Vendor specific training will need to be done through an authorized dealer for the respective vendor. Don't really expect to learn much about the "theory" of regulators from these vendor sponsored repair seminars. They only show you how to break the regulator apart and then assembled it together. You need to do your own studying to learn the basic theory behind it. Please also note that, generally, they only cover regulators in these seminars not much else.

If you want to get "career" training in equipment repairs, you might consider going to a "career development center" such as Bob Brayman's in Marathon, FL, (if they still exist).

In short, there won't be one place where you'd learn all that you need to learn. You will actually have to do your own homework and use several sources for training. One of the best ways is to work with a highly experienced and reputable technician who would mentor your skill development. This is the best option but it is also the most difficult to get.

Talk to the shop where you work. I just got a copy of "Regulator Savvy" and one shop around me does a $500 class for regulator maintenance. That doesn't certify you though so from there you would need to find the class for certifying. I suspect your shop owner can put you in touch with the right people.

Getting in with a shop is your best (maybe only) bet to become a functioning reg tech. With an active repair department you will have access to a mentor, all the specialty tools, factory parts and manuals. Many companies offer seminars on-line now for current medel regulators- the caveat is you have to be employed by a Dealer to have access to on-line training Reg repair manuals are available on the internet for most brands... I mean, you could practice on your personal regs to get the feel for it.

I found Vance Harlow's (I believe he post's here as the Oxygen Hacker) Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair (SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow) an awesome intro/intermediate/advanced guide to how regulators both 1st and seconds work (in depth) and how if you wanted to service your own gear you could. It is very reasonably priced and I can honestly say your money won't be wasted. I actually think all divers who have an interest past just getting certified should read it, if keeps you safe know how it works is my personal approach. It appears so much of servicing is kept quite unless you know the secret hand shake :). Where I live the access to dive shops and getting experience with servicing is limited so the first thing I did when I learned to dive was get everything I could on how the "life support system" I'm using works, how it fails and how to cope. When I did my open water my instructor told me in 5 yeas of instructing they'd never seen a reg fail. On our third dive one of the other students had a free flow reg that couldn't be stopped. It made me very quickly want to learn all I could about how things work! Check out the web site I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you download torrents there is a file accessible through isohunt with a heap of tech data on regulators, exploded diagrams etc for many many models, and brands. Vance's book has a more generic version of this as well. If you can't find the torrent file PM me. As an aside I'm not advocating self servicing here, just knowing how your gear works. Hope this helps.I personally wish there was an easier way to get certified without working with/for a dive shop to become a tech I would love to study this field.

I did it! Finally i am now certified Sherwood and genessis technician!!! :D others will add soon!

.... Don't really expect to learn much about the "theory" of regulators from these vendor sponsored repair seminars. They only show you how to break the regulator apart and then assembled it together. .

I tend to disagree, at least with the recent Sherwood seminar I was at... Bob Ledbetter went through his 30 years at SW and covered some really detailed concepts...

Binobanana, were you at the Sherwood seminar yesterday (Tuesday) in delray??? Just did the sherwood update myself....

Yes i was! But, still need lot to learn i'll stay on it. and see what time brings

Back
Top Bottom