How to break in a new Bare Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like the neck seal might be a bit tight, I was told rather than cutting the seal it is better to stretch it. I have put mine over my tank on several occasions overnight to stretch it.

It sounds like the neck seal might be a bit tight, I was told rather than cutting the seal it is better to stretch it. I have put mine over my tank on several occasions overnight to stretch it.

It's more than just a tight neck seal. Apparently my shoulder are broader than the average small female:shakehead:. According to the people who saw me wearing the suit the shell is the right size but the undergarment is too big! The Dry Suit Soap Opera goes on...

I had the same problem with my first drysuit from Bare. Fortunately the shop's manager had taken my measurements and signed off on the order. When the suit came in I put it on in the shop with the Fourth Element undergarment and it was tighter than a wetsuit .

The shop made it right though by ordering the next size up and reselling the unused stock smaller one. Since that time I and several friends who have ordered a Bare Trilam have realized that if you are at the upper end of a size range it is best to go one size up particularly if required to wear the heavier cold water underwear.

Hopefully your shop will make things right. Good luck.

I had the same problem with my first drysuit from Bare. Fortunately the shop's manager had taken my measurements and signed off on the order. When the suit came in I put it on in the shop with the Fourth Element undergarment and it was tighter than a wetsuit .

The shop made it right though by ordering the next size up and reselling the unused stock smaller one. Since that time I and several friends who have ordered a Bare Trilam have realized that if you are at the upper end of a size range it is best to go one size up particularly if required to wear the heavier cold water underwear.

Hopefully your shop will make things right. Good luck.

Well I am now stuck with an XS size. I cannot get a refund because it has been modified. I will try to wear it with a thinner and smaller size undergarment and see how it goes .If it doesn't work I will have to sell it on E-Bay.

Soaked,

What underwear were you wearing around the house ? I'm a rookie and all, but take a look at my pics. There's a picture in there of me and my dog where I'm just wearing jeans and a t shirt under my suit - and it looks out and out baggy on me. When I load up the underwear I can get to the point where I feel restricted almost like you describe. I guess what I'm saying is there can be a wide range in between there. The cold weather undies you have on in your beach picture look pretty beefy. Have you tried diving the suit yet with something thinner under it?

Don't give up hope on the suit yet - you'll feel better in the water - your neck seal will definitely feel looser in the water.

H a l l e l u j a h !
At last I did my first dive yesterday evening with my new Bare suit and I was dry!:D

It was my first dive ever where I wished I had a spear gun to put a copper rockfish out of its misery. It had a big treble hook stuck in its mouth which had perforated its upper lip and the poor guy could not close its mouth anymore. I guess it will end up starving to death.:(

I haven't managed to wear or the take off the suit all by myself yet. The first zipper is particularly hard to close and open. I hope that with more practice it will get easier. I ended up trimming a bit the neck seal it was far too long, I think I will trim it a bit more. I have not mounted dry gloves so I keep battling the tight wrist latex seals. Wet gloves are somewhat easier to use, right now my hands are not too cold. But most importantly I am wondering if the Bare undergarment will be enough to keep my torso warm in winter...There is no room to add another layer....In fact I have to be careful not to put on weight otherwise I bet that I won't be able to fit in the suit anymore regardless of the undergarment thickness. I was hoping that having my feet dry and warmer than usual it would have helped in keeping the rest of the body warmer...Well I guess I am must be prone to be more sensitive to cold than other divers.:(

I was wondering how you were doing ?? Take care of the zip and it will get easier. I found the wrist seals hard to get on/off, but, with time and lots of practise, it's no issue now. So, it will come, more technique than anything. WRS the undergarment, I wear the second loftiest Bare they have, ( see my venting issue thread ). I also have good / thin Patagonia underwear ( top and long johns ) underneath the Bare underwear. So far, coldest I've dove was 39 F. I was toasty, and I don't have a lot of meat on me. Well, maybe some and it's certainly shifting around from my younger days. If you find you are still cold, try a thin extra layer underneath, but get good stuff. Works for me. I just read your comment about no extra room for another layer, even a v thin one??

Soaked,

What underwear were you wearing around the house ? I'm a rookie and all, but take a look at my pics. There's a picture in there of me and my dog where I'm just wearing jeans and a t shirt under my suit - and it looks out and out baggy on me. When I load up the underwear I can get to the point where I feel restricted almost like you describe. I guess what I'm saying is there can be a wide range in between there. The cold weather undies you have on in your beach picture look pretty beefy. Have you tried diving the suit yet with something thinner under it?

Don't give up hope on the suit yet - you'll feel better in the water - your neck seal will definitely feel looser in the water.

Sorry I saw your post only now. In the house I was probably wearing some thin underwear so I would not roast. The undergarment in the picture taken on the beach is a Bare medium Hi -Loft.I always wear a thin layer of underwear underneath the undergarment. Right now this underwear is made of silk. Now I have a small Hi-Loft and it fits better. Your right the neck seal is not so constricting anymore. It is still a struggle to take it off without chocking myself. Miraculously I was able to do it today by myself.

Sounds like the neck seal was too tight which can be dangerous. Make sure it does not cut off circulation. Also sometimes the tank and bcd can pull back the neck seal against your neck on shore so make sure it is adjusted and donned correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom