How to buy a reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to divetheabyss.com and get an Apeks DS4/XTX50 and never have to worry about it again.. Now wasnt that easy? :D

Why? Explain why he should get THIS reg. and explain what type of reg this is.

Buying a reg is a lot like buying a car. There are lots of choices available but you will need to whittle down brand, model, and dealer. If you want to do that yourself, then you have your research cut out for you. Or find someone you trust and let them help. And nobody pays sticker price - right.:wink:

Buy a name brand reg with user adjustments and you cant go wrong. IMHO more important than balanced/unbalanced or piston/diaphram argument
My vote goes to a Scubpro G250V MK17 combo or a Apex xtx50 and DS4

User adjustments are nice, but they tend to be associated with more expensive, higher performance rigs. If your tastes run more along the lines of a Honda Civic than a Ford Expedition, you may want to looks at something like a Scubapro Mk2/R190.

I just bought an interesting 2nd stage; G200B. It's basically a G250 w/out the adjuster. It's very light, and has the metal air barrel like the G250s. I think it could be a great value in 2nd stages, what with the older G250 prices exceeding $100 on ebay these days.

Anyhow, pairing something like that with a MK2 might be a very cost effective, trouble free set up that would perform really well, and you could even use the R190 that cmes with the MK2 as an octo.

But, once again, to the OP, you'd have a much more difficult time finding a truly bad reg than one that will function perfectly well for rec diving. A good example of this is to notice what the divemasters in Cozumel are using. These guys dive professionally every day, all year, and are constantly coming to the assistance of brand-new, nervous divers on their first open ocean dives, plus Coz dives are fairly deep and there almost always is a decent current running. So what do these guys use? The cheapest Mares, Sherwoods, whatever is around. Some of them don't even know or care what kind of reg they're using, as long as it's working.

Regs are seriously better than they "need" to be in terms of performance for recreational diving. So don't fall for the one of the oldest lines in the book "better buy this high-end titanium environmentally sealed super-duper reg, because your life is worth it."

Regs are seriously better than they "need" to be in terms of performance for recreational diving. So don't fall for the one of the oldest lines in the book "better buy this high-end titanium environmentally sealed super-duper reg, because your life is worth it."

Mattboy,
I agree wholeheartedly. You have quoted the mantra of LDS owners, employees, and inexperienced divers who either have a profit motive (margins are greater on high end regs) or want to impress others with their incredible knowledge.

You would not believe (nor would I relate) the dives we did in the bad old days on Conshelf's, MR-12's and Sherwoods. There is no well tuned, major manufacturer's current "entry level" reg that I would have the slightest qualms about taking to 150' and probably beyond.

I mentioned a reg and a place to get it.. He can do the research and answer that question..

OK. Well, I guess I'm glad that you don't work at a scuba shop. With just that type of information, I'll take me and my friends someplace else.

OK. Well, I guess I'm glad that you don't work at a scuba shop. With just that type of information, I'll take me and my friends someplace else.

Well im glad that your not comming to a scuba shop.. Doing your own research is much more important than just listening to what the scuba shop tells you..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom