how to change diffuser for oly pt-020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
I lost the diffuser for my oly pt-020 housing and couldn't find a replacement- so tried to fashion one out of a plastic tupperware lid. However, I'm still getting a dark arc-shaped shadow on the lower left-hand corner of my pics. Does this mean I should use thicker or more opaque material? Would anyone know if you can order a diffuser from oly? I tried several oly dealers in Manila and they were unable to order one.

Thanks in advance.

CLA

CLA:
I lost the diffuser for my oly pt-020 housing and couldn't find a replacement- so tried to fashion one out of a plastic tupperware lid. However, I'm still getting a dark arc-shaped shadow on the lower left-hand corner of my pics. Does this mean I should use thicker or more opaque material? Would anyone know if you can order a diffuser from oly? I tried several oly dealers in Manila and they were unable to order one.
Can you post a picture with the dark arc? And a picture of the housing with the DIY diffuser? It sounds like you are too close to the subject while using the camera's flash - the shadow of the housing's lens barrel is creating the arc.

A diffuser cut out of a plastic milk bottle or even a Pringles chips lid should be suitable...

Yeah, same thoughts as ReyR mentioned, also if you can rotate the plastic to see if the dark arc follows.. denser plastic??

I experienced bluish little arcs in the upper corner areas and it turned out the strobes were inadvertently too far forward and created a arc too.. but sounds like the lens barrel as Reyer suggested...

CLA:

Thanks in advance.

CLA

Your anwser maybe found here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=113411

Thanks for the tips guys. You are right- the shadow is from the lens barrel and it happens when I'm close to the subject (I don't have a macro lens).

Will try to post my pics with and without the diffuser later. Right now I'm having problems uploading attachments. I'll try your suggestions on my next dive. :D

In fact, if you are shooting with a PT-020 housing you must have an Olympus c-5060 camera and it does have macro, as well as super-macro capability. In my experience with the same set-up (limited!) the only way you can get the dark arc you are describing is to shoot in super-macro less than 3 inches from the front of the lens port. Beyond that distance, even in super macro using the slave flash mode, you don't get the shadow. With the normal macro mode and flash you can't get a shadow in the picture if your subject is 8" or more from the lens port. Sounds like you're a little too close in super-macro mode. Keep shooting!

jghflash:
In fact, if you are shooting with a PT-020 housing you must have an Olympus c-5060 camera and it does have macro, as well as super-macro capability. In my experience with the same set-up (limited!) the only way you can get the dark arc you are describing is to shoot in super-macro less than 3 inches from the front of the lens port. Beyond that distance, even in super macro using the slave flash mode, you don't get the shadow. With the normal macro mode and flash you can't get a shadow in the picture if your subject is 8" or more from the lens port. Sounds like you're a little too close in super-macro mode. Keep shooting!

I only use macro mode because the internal flash doesnt work in super-macro and I don't have a strobe. I actually have a hard time taking close up pics because I don't have a macro lens attachment and can only go as close as the macro-mode focus will allow. Unfortunately, this is not very close (as you will see in the photos I plan to post- if I ever figure out how to upload the big files) but apparently close enough to produce the shadow without the diffuser :jpshakehe

Yup, I think I just have to keep practicing and maybe eventually I'll find a way around the problem.

CLA:
I only use macro mode because the internal flash doesnt work...
You can get the internal flash to fire (in Slave mode) in Super Macro mode but you will have the same lens barrel shadow problem...

ReyeR:
You can get the internal flash to fire (in Slave mode) in Super Macro mode but you will have the same lens barrel shadow problem...

This is great news. I was under the impression that I had to change my housing to ikelite in order to use supermacro. Would you mind telling me your settings for supermacro with slave mode internal flash? I made a thicker diffuser already but if a shadow still forms wiht my next pics maybe I'll just try to crop it off. This is cheating, i know but I'm just trying to make do with my present set up (oly 5060 and PT-020) for now-- without the strobes, lenses etc.

thanks for helping me out.

You can get the C5060's flash to fire in SM mode by setting it to 'Slave' flash in the menu, but you will need to manually adjust the brightness if you intend to use it to light up your subject ie it will not fire in TTL mode. Keep in mind that the problem you are facing (shadow of lens barrel in your picture) is the reason why it has been designed this way - it's purpose is to trigger an external 'slave' flash placed away from the camera because of the close distances involved in SuperMacro mode. It was never intended to light the subject.
  • You will need to set the camera to 'A' or 'M' shooting mode
  • Then set the flash menu to "SLAVE" (Mode Menu > Camera > Flash > Slave)
  • Set the camera to SuperMacro mode
  • You should now be able to select "Fill-in" flash :)lightning symbol) in A mode or :lightning SLOW in M mode in the flash mode menu (hold the :lightning button down on the left of the camera and turn the jog dial)
  • To adjust the brightness select 1 to 10 in the flash menu (Mode Menu > Camera > Flash > Slave > Level 1 - 10 )

HTH

Back
Top Bottom