How to connect Al 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDVR

Reaction score
Okay Guys I travel to the boat by subway I do not own tanks

I want to dive doubles can someone explain or provide a link for rigging up 2 alum 80's that are already filled(boats rent these) I have been told I cannot use metal if they are already filled

Do not have a car no steel doubles want to connect 2 alum 80's on the boat
Specifically what kind of bars and such do I need

Want to setup with one regulator going to both tanks not looking for redundency just more air Also If I can figure out how to do this would be great for travel

thanks in advance

NYCDVR:

I want to dive doubles can someone explain or provide a link for rigging up 2 alum 80's that are already filled(boats rent these) I have been told I cannot use metal if they are already filled

Want to setup with one regulator going to both tanks not looking for redundency just more air Also If I can figure out how to do this would be great for travel

thanks in advance

I am assuming that from the fact that you are posting in the solo diver forum that you are doing this solo. Also since you think you need 160 cu feet of air that you are doing decompression diving. The plumbing you are asking for is either available (old stuff) or relatively easily made. But you should think of the consequences. By connecting two tanks to a single regulator you are creating two extra failure points. You will be diving with no buddy, no backup equipment and the equipment you are using is less reliable than the standard rig. What is the upside?

I have used the dual yoke valve for the set up that you are inquiring.

It works fine in the shallow water diving.....

I get the impression that you're looking to increase the intensity of the diving that you're doing, while at the same thing you're attempting to accomplish this by increasing the likelihood of gear failure.

NYCDVR:

thanks in advance
independent doubles are a safer idea from the start. when I fly and can't bring my own tanks I bring bands and regs.

I agree with nova.. with proper training and experience, independent doubles may be an option for you.. however, hooking two tanks to one regulator is a bad idea.

nova:
independent doubles are a safer idea from the start. when I fly and can't bring my own tanks I bring bands and regs.

If I were to dive independnts I'd just side mount them. Why bother with bands? Just put your valves in your armpits where they're really easy to get to.

Safer? I don't know. You eliminate the possibility of a manifold failure causing a total gas loss (has such a thing ever happened without running into a cave ceiling at full speed on a scooter?) but you add gas managment issues.

It doesn't sound like we're talking about a tech charter (if it was they could probably just bring an extra set of doubles) so why not just sling an extra 80 for a buddy bottle. No cumbersome equipment issues, no expensive hardware...nothing.

MikeFerrara:
If I were to dive independnts I'd just side mount them. Why bother with bands? Just put your valves in your armpits where they're really easy to get to.

Safer? I don't know. You eliminate the possibility of a manifold failure causing a total gas loss (has such a thing ever happened without running into a cave ceiling at full speed on a scooter?) but you add gas managment issues.

It doesn't sound like we're talking about a tech charter (if it was they could probably just bring an extra set of doubles) so why not just sling an extra 80 for a buddy bottle. No cumbersome equipment issues, no expensive hardware...nothing.
Safer than the single reg manifold of death, if one side fails the other does also because there is no isolation valve.

nova:
Safer than the single reg manifold of death, if one side fails the other does also because there is no isolation valve.

You could just paint a line on your tank halfway down...the gas above the line is for diving and the gas below the line is for OOA emergencies. :D

There is a reason that virtually no one dives with a single post manifold anymore - you gain gas and gain the ability to getinto serious deco, but then lose the redundancy that will save your butt when your reg fails,a neck o-ring, fails, or a burst disc blows.

"Cheater bars" and "pigtails" were formerly used to connect two k-valve tanks together to get a pair of temporary doubles, but in addition to the problems associated with a single post manifold, it adds to more much weaker connections and the potential for a serious leak or failure at depth. They made sense in an era when the regulator represented the bulk of your equipment cost compared to all your other gear (mask, fins, snorkel, weightbelt, tank, and maybe a horse collar BC) and adding another regulator was considered un-economical. That argument really does not wash anymore when a new and reliable reg can be had for the price of a pair of tanks.

Independent doubles are a very good route to take for a traveling diver/rental tank situation. They allow both extra gas capacity as well as excellent redundancy (as long as you manage them approproately. Gas management normally involves using 1/3 of the first tank, switching to the second tank and using 2/3rds of it before switching back to the first tank to use the 2nd 1/3rd of it (and leaving 1/3 in each tank for a reserve).

The option suggested above of slinging another AL 80 is also sound. It is less comfortable in the water, and still requires the same gas management strategy as independent doubles, but it saves you the cost of a set of "travel" bands - normally about $120.) One potential downside is that the AL 80 with what should be "backgas" is competing for the same real estate as a(any) deco bottle(s) you may want to use and tends to lead to more clutter than you really need on the front side.

One more thing to consider, if you are considering deco diving, you need to get yourself some deco training, usually this consists of advanced nitrox and deco procedures training. This is doublely true if you are planning do deco dive while solo, where traiing and skills issues are doublely important.

In short, deco diving with a pair of 80's connected by a cheater bar used by a diver with no deco training is not much more than a form of assisted suicide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom