How to connect my YS-90 Auto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Canon G9. I've also got a Sea&Sea YS-90 Auto strobe. Have not purchased a housing yet. I know I will need to mount a retaining ring on the strobe and run a fiber optic cable to whichever housing I get. Question: can anyone tell me how to mount the other end of the fiber optic in front of the internal flash on an Ikelite and/or the Canon housing for the G9. Now, SBer Cicopo has a great link on how to build your own "mount" for the Canon housing. It's looks fantastic, but I have never done any fiberglassing in my life and I'm hesitate about trying it (if I go with the Canon housing). So, any help?

The fiber optic cable kit you buy will have some sort of adhesive backed velcro mount. This will be applied to the housing body or to the diffuser mount in such a way that the end of the optical cable is positioned in front of the camera's internal strobe.

What sort of tray and arm are you thinking about?

Finally I bet I'm not the only person who wishes you had posted a copy of Cicopo's link.

Hi,

i have a YS 90 with my olympus, i was having problems with the internal flash getting through the blanking off and creating a rim of light on the photo. A friend who uses inon strobes recommended the strips which inon produce to put over the internal strobe, they let out enough light to trigger the strobe, but not enough to affect the picture.

Gert. I'm thinking about getting the Sea & Sea tray and arm, but wouldn't that really depend on the housing I finally get? I mean, can one use a Sea & Sea tray on an Ikelite housing? Also, the only reason I'm thinking Sea & Sea tray and arm is to make sure I can mount the YS-90 on the arm. As you can see, this is the first time I'm buying all this stuff. I originally had a Sealife setup that came with camera, houising, tray, arm and strobe. I lost it during dive in Cozumel this past February. My point is, I have experience "mixing and matching" all these different housing, arms, tray, strobes, FO cables, etc.

Your basic choices on housing are pretty much Ikelite's #6147.09 or Canon's WP-DC21.

Looks as though a ring with a mounting hole for the F/O cable could be fitted around the lens bezel on the Ikelite housing.

The Canon housing has a large, external detachable diffuser. You could copy that diffuser using a sheet of opaque plastic (styrene sheet stock is available at hobby shops). Then put a F/O cable mounting point opposite the strobe light on the camera body.

I did something similar with my Oly SP-350. Here are some pictures:

Home brewed tray/arm - a set on Flickr

You can mix and match arms or even make your own. You can even make your own F/O cables.

Wow! What an intersting set up. Yeah, it looks like you certainly aren't limited to compatability between trays, arms, and strobes. Did you get out Cicopo's link, you'd find it interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm quite the inventor you are. But again, good job on your rig.

Cicopo's link was very slick. The guy may be a product designer or model maker. My rig's evolving, sort of the Mk. III on Flickr. I removed the green arm (Mk IV?) and replaced it with a solid handle that has a couple of Loc-Line segments. I'm next moving the white arm to the side instead of at the bottom. It sticks down too far right now.

Good luck with your new project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom