How to dive without a BC, what is a technique for good buoyancy during the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't remember if I've posted here already or not (must be getting old). I didn't use a BCD for the first 28 years I dove, just a backpack (as opposed to backplate). The key to doing that was knowing the depth you planned to dive to and how compressed your wetsuit would be (although much better neoprene was used back then). It took experience to know how much weight to use for a given depth. You might try practicing with a fully deflated wing/BCD before you go the full route to a backpack/tank.

Dale C-
Interesting videos. The first one was done in Pavillion Lake. I wanted to know more about those formations on the bottom and found some fascinating stuff on this. Sounds like a really cool place to dive! Here's a small excerpt from Wikipedia about the microbial towers on the bottom, making those formations:
Another pair of instances of freshwater stromatolites are at Pavilion and Kelly Lakes in British Columbia, Canada. Pavilion Lake has the largest known freshwater stromatolites and has been researched by NASA as part of xenobiology research.[19] NASA, the Canadian Space Agency and numerous universities from around the world are collaborating on a project centered around studying microbialite life in the lakes. Called the "Pavilion Lake Research Project" (PLRP) its aim is to study what conditions on the lakes' bottoms are most likely to harbor life and develop a better hypothesis on how environmental factors effect microbialite life. The end goal of the project is to better understand what condition would be more likely to harbor life on other planets.[20] There is a citizen science project online called "MAPPER" where anyone can help sort through thousands of photos of the lake bottoms and tag microbialites, algae and other lake bed features.[21]

Back
Top Bottom