how to figure out what to do career wise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGUMs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have a predicament. Simply put my interests are too varied and I cannot find a way to combine them into meaningful employment. First I love to boat and scuba dive, plus I am a divemaster and I qualify for a captains license. Seems to be perfect for a charterboat captain right? If only it were that simple. My second love which actually should be listed as my first love is snowmobiling. I can in no way shape or form figure out how to combine the two and I have spent a lot of time try too. I would hate Florida or the southern climate in general year round. I like the cold so much I sleep with my window open in the winter, no joke either. However in the winter lakes freeze, not much diving. This leaves me without a real and direct path to follow. I would never survive the corporate world, board meetings and TPS reports......BLAH! Never in a million years....I'd get cabin fever inside of 2 weeks. I want to work in the areas I love but I don't see it happening. So, what would anyone suggest?
Brad

Hard to make a living doing the things you described liking to do.

You like to do them because they are LESIURE activities, not work. Most people will not pay you to lesiure.

Suggest you get a job and work hard. Or get a big fat degree.

Good luck.

Jetski mechanic/rental at a resort in summer, snow mobile mechanic/rental in the winter

Look for something that allows you to travel.

some kind of medical technician, maybe? law enforcement...think "portable career" not building time in a corporation, unless the skill is marketable elsewhere.

then, you will have a ticket to move on a whim to any exciting place you desire. Unless you have responsibilites, like kids, of course. If you are young, travel will open your world and the answer/opportunity will come. Manage your fertility, or you will blow it.

I tell you what, boat mechanics are making a lot of money in the right markets. I can find a doctor anywhere, boat mechanics are making 100 hr here.

...plus I am a divemaster and I qualify for a captains license. Seems to be perfect for a charterboat captain right?
Just my 2 cents: Get your captains license while you qualify and have the chance. A portion of your seatime must be within the last 3 years. Later in life you may not meet the recent seatime requirements. Once you get it it is easy to keep it up to date. You can always use it later in life.

catherine96821:
...I tell you what, boat mechanics are making a lot of money in the right markets. I can find a doctor anywhere, boat mechanics are making 100 hr here.
Very true. You should see my previous boat mechanics house :D He happens to live pretty close to my father. A good boat mechanic in the Bahamas can write their own ticket. Lots of people cruising over there (some very wealthy) that don't want to wait in line to have their boats repaired. I've been broken down over there and it is tough to get a good mechanic to come over to just look at the boat within a few days.

We have been waiting two weeks for a cable repair on the throttle and I know a lot of boaters and feel pretty well connected. There are just not enough boat mechanics.

We will be paying travel time (85 dollars each way) and 500 dollars to change all four. And we sit and wait.

A mobile guy, who will come pronto could have a nice life, make his own hours, meet interesting people, live in some great locales. Where does one learn this trade? Are there schools for it?

A mobile guy, who will come pronto could have a nice life, make his own hours, meet interesting people, live in some great locales. Where does one learn this trade? Are there schools for it?
If you find out... let me know. I may be switching careers and moving out there :D.
We spent our honeymoon over there and we loved it. One of my best friends recently moved to Oahu too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom