How to fix the spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, the diving I did last week had alot of current, and things were kicked up, how do you remove the spots from pictures?

GrayAngel.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a few like this that are otherwise decent shots, but the red spots are annoying...any help would be great!! Thanks!

you can remove the small backscatter using the photoshop heal tool. For the bigger red spots, I'd try adding an adjustment layer and playing with the color levels in that layer, masking around the big red spots. I'd futz with the adjustment layer to make the colors match the underlying layer, then merge.

... but my photoshop-kung-** is not very strong, so there are probably better methods....

Like this...(e-mail sent):

Feel free to post how you did that...or-e-mail me as well.

Using Photoshop do everything in this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/1974309-post63.html - with thanks to Jonix...

Using the healing tool with a brush setting of 10, zoomed in to 200% - click on just about every small spot and "heal" them.

A couple of the larger particles near his head, his entire eye/face and a couple on the tail were easier to just clone out. Cloning seems to work best when there's a simple or no pattern. I also used the clone tool along the vein near the top of the fishes back since it didn't heal right.

To use either the healing brush or the clone tool, every time you move to a new area, do an Alt-click to select a similar area as your reference point.

Then to get rid of the bigger red spots, a combination of a bigger healing brush, (I think 25 but I didn't keep track) then touching up with a smaller healing brush, and finally some interpolation using the clone tool for those areas on the fins too red to "heal".

Bump up the contrast slightly and you're done.

I didn't do this last step, but you could also select the entire fish using the magic lasso and then apply contrast/saturation/color enhancement just to it to make it "pop" more.

Not bad for a videographer huh?...:rofl3:

Nice!!! Thanks for the tips! I'll mess with some of them this weekend and if they turn out decent, I'll post the results!

Photoshop can work wonders but in cannot repair an out of focus image, the camera may have been fooled it focusing on the backscatter or the fish. Plus the areas where the backscatter was remove looks like an area where the fish went through an acid wash, lack of detail.

Photoshop is a good tool but don't let it be your first line of defence against backscatter that should be to bring the camera close to the subject...very very close.

Your picture is a good example of what I was talking about in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...-dslr-vs-p-s-aka-housing-size-comparison.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...ikelike-compact-vs-seatool-dslr-xti-400d.html

Photoshop can work wonders but in cannot repair an out of focus image, the camera may have been fooled it focusing on the backscatter or the fish. Plus the areas where the backscatter was remove looks like an area where the fish went through an acid wash, lack of detail.

Photoshop is a good tool but don't let it be your first line of defence against backscatter that should be to bring the camera close to the subject...very very close.

agree with f3. focusing is the main problem here and getting close next time around will save you the trouble of having to edit backscatter in photoshop. take your time to compose and shoot. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom