How to float a strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know if the TekTite models float? That, some cave line, and a bolt snap....

I see what you're trying to do, makes sense.

In Curacao we had one of those fancy directional sonar things, had it rigged up with a 10' line and 2# weight on one side and clipped a smb to the sonar thing and inflated just enough to keep it up in the air - the weight kept it from going anywhere.

The camera floats should be consistent in buoyancy verses like a pool noodle foam I would think.

I like the camera buoyancy floats but I think I personally would add the drop weight to be able to drop it at the anchor or anywhere instead of jacking around attaching it to the anchor line - someone could always mess it up no matter where you place it......

Take up the slack before heading off. I genuinely don’t understand what conditions you are talking about where you would need a strobe and not need a wreck reel. If you’re following a fixed guide line why not clip the strobe to that. If it’s no big deal that you don’t make it back to the strobe then fair enough you could play around with ways to deploy it.

Imagine any situation where using a strobe makes sense.

Now, imagine that the only place to clip the strobe leaves it laying on the bottom.

Now imagine how far away you can be and see the strobe laying on the bottom. Maybe even imagine that the bottom has a little relief to it.

Now imagine how far away you can be and see the same strobe if it was floating 15' up off the bottom.

now, strobe vs. constant light becomes the question.....

I'd likely make somethiong out of the TekTite so it is similar to these...

upload_2020-11-18_9-32-30.png

desired strobe intensity becomes the issue of device selection...

I'm thinking maybe something like this:
1/2L collapsible hydration bladders w/ bite-valves. Straws are trimmable, so you can shrink the whole thing down to just 2" from the cap (and minimal inside for this purpose).
$13 - 2pk from BOTACH (Warning they are horribly slow to ship now): UltraSpire Collapsible Bottles w/Straws 2/PACK
Untitled-1__64477.1551139509.jpg

I ordered them on an add-on/whim for use on long dives where I get dry mouth and irritated throat - I figure a sip from this is probably healthier than the quarry water ...

For this use, run some cave-line around the neck and you have a 1lb-ish float.

Imagine any situation where using a strobe makes sense.

Now, imagine that the only place to clip the strobe leaves it laying on the bottom.

Now imagine how far away you can be and see the strobe laying on the bottom. Maybe even imagine that the bottom has a little relief to it.

Now imagine how far away you can be and see the same strobe if it was floating 15' up off the bottom.
I cannot think of a single wreck below the level of the sea bed where I would have to float my strobe in the water column to see it. It only makes sense to use a strobe In darkness or poor vis and both require a reel. You don’t need to see the strobe to see the flash. Maybe your using the wrong strobe.

he isn't talking about wrecks (yeah, what is the purpose od diving there, right???? o_O - that was sarcasm..)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom