How to get rid of Ixchel's revenge aka turista

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annlaur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
By popular demand, I am starting a new thread to discuss ways to avoid traveller's diarrhea. Not a topic specific to Cozumel, but as illustrated in a 2 year-old thread posted in this sub-forum that keeps being revived, there appears to be quite an interest about the subject.
Sooo, have you ever been sick during your stay on the island ? What sanitary precautions do you take to avoid turista ? Let's hear your tips, advice and horror stories…

What works for me is not doing AI hotels. Not a bash of AI hotels, and they certainly work out for a lot of people, but every time I have stayed at one I've gotten turista after a few days (that often continued after I got home!). I've never been a heavy drinker, so it wasn't because of that. My last few trips have been non-AI, eating in town and at restaurants in the hotel where everything is made to order and I've had no problems. Perhaps it's avoiding buffets rather than avoiding AI's ?

I don't have any problems & here is my routine.
I NEVER put tap water in my mouth, even to rinse my teeth. Never use anything but bottled water for everything. NO ICE. No salad . It is washed in water. Never eat any peelings of fruit. Never eat fruit or food from street vendor carts. I don't drink, so no hangover problems, anyway. I take a sip of Pepto every morning.

I carry the Pepto chewable tablets. A couple before a meal and that has taken care of the problem.

Stay hydrated with bottled water. Diving will dry you out and that will exacerbate any intestinal distress.

Friend was told by a Dr. to take two Pepto tablets a day (1 morning, 1 night) starting a week before you travel, and continuing during your trip. Supposed to help coat the stomach against any irritation. I'm not as thorough as I used to be at this, but I've never had any problems on my trips with getting sick.

On Coz, I do use the tap water - as long as I know it's filtered, use ice, etc. Depends where we're staying. Fiesta Americana's tap water is filtered as is the water going to their ice machines. As for restaurants, from what people on island tell me, they all use filtered water for their food prep.

Never use anything but bottled water for everything. NO ICE.

No ICE?! Why? Ice is same as bottled only frozen.

I have minor problems when traveling -- it even happens when I go to the USA now that I've acclimated to Cozumel! I eat yogurt pretty regularly and I think that maintains the balance that my digestive tract needs -- not saying it would work for everyone. The minute I have a problem, I chew a Sinuberase or two (the lactobacillus acidophilus tablet widely available here) and that ends the episode.

I wouldn't be comfortable eating from one of those AI-hotel, outdoor buffets but I've always been comfortable eating anything offered in restaurants, including fresh fruits and salads. I've also eaten at street vendors where they prepare while you watch without repercussions except for some very poor quality food. Learned that all of the apples, seedless grapes, and some other fruits are from the USA (they're labeled in the markets), so I no longer peel those & haven't had any trouble as a result.

And dare I mention it? Yes. I take a pill to kill intestinal parasites every six months -- primarily because I handle stray animals that have these parasites and that makes me worry but also because many people here recommend doing it -- or have had problems because they didn't! This is a suggestion to those who come here for an extended stay or who visit often.

Too much sun, too much alcohol, not enough water, and foods you aren't used to eating can all add up to stomach problems. I think a lot of people that have any kind of tummy troubles in Mexico automatically blame it on monteczuma's, but, if it happens anywhere else on vacation... and it does... or at home after a hot summer weekend spend out in the sun eating and drinking... and it does... they realistically blame their own choices and actions.

I have a cheesecloth stomach and any tropical destinations I go to I stay away from tap water, buffets, most fried foods, dairy if it's really hot & refrigeration can be iffy, and I keep well hydrated with water and wait til the very late afternoon to have any alcohol (and don't overdo it, keep drinking water too). Eating fresh, local foods that are prepared to order seems to work best for me.

In most tourist destination these days, ice is made from purified water so no worries with ice unless you're in a very remote place.... but then you probably won't even get ice. Produce is also washed in solutions like Microdyne (or other iodine based produce wash products). No restaurant or resort wants sick tourists.

The few times over the last 20 or so years that I have had a problem in Mexico, a bowl or two of a really good sopa de lima does wonders. (Happens to be one of my all time favorite soups too.)

I personally don't like the idea of taking pepto or any OTC gastro stuff preventatively. The amount you'd have to take to make it 75% effective is 1oz every 1/2 hr until you've had 8 doses a day (Monteczuma's Revenvge)

There was a recent study that found salsa to be the culprit in most cases of turista. So, avoid dancing... :banana:

Imodium (over-the-counter) or Lomatil (US prescription), after the fact will alleviate most of the symptoms.

Don't drink tap water. The locals don't, why should you?

In the Peace Corps, they tell volunteers, "cook it, peel it, or forget it." That may be good advice in some fourth world countries, but it doesn't apply to Cozumel.

When you go to the east side of the island, don't let your wife talk you into the garlic conch.

I used to travel around the world for work. I'd drink only bottled water, including brushing my teeth. Beverages are only chilled beer and coke in the bottle/can. I skip the fruits and salads. I wash my hands before I eat. I'd still get an occasional bout, for that I use Imodium and carry toilet paper in my pack. The imodium is a good plug but not a cure. If you have to use a public toilet in an emergency carrying your own TP beats those little squares of cheap paper. Remember diarhea dehydrates you, so drink lots of fluids. Stop eating, drink lots of fluid and you can usually flush it out in a day or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom