How to ignore a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not actually sure about the exact mechanics behind it, but basically it's like a pipe, that's sealed at one end. You jam a potato down into the other end, so that it seals pretty tight and then somehow (this is the part I'm not clear on), you partially fill it with butane or something and then ignite it, causing the potato to go sailing.

I'm sure there are other, much more highly qualified potato gun experts on the board who can fill in the gaps. :eek:ut:

for all those thinking about getting potato based dive flag defenses:

www.spudtech.com/

yes, you can go there and buy things like:

" the world's most advanced hand held laser-guided bolt-action aluminum SP9004 potato rifle."

don't ask me how do i know such online places exist :)

Genesis once bubbled...
You CAN approach one, but you must do so at IDLE SPEED.

I had a clown actually HOOK me last summer while diving. He totally IGNORED our flag and despite the protests of the people on the surface, dropping a line with a live pinfish right in front of me as I was stringing a grouper I had just shot.

It hooked on my knife strap!

I cut his line (my knife was out and handy at that point, having just used it to dispatch the grouper), tugged on it like "Sponge Bob" until he started reeling like MAD (trying to reel in the 170lb "fish" he had on the other end :)) and then let it go - so he'd think he got cut off by a REALLY BIG fish :)

Then I did him one better and let the poor pinfish go, cut loose the hook, and pocketed the mono leader so that it wouldn't foul up the wreck :)

He wasn't there when we surfaced or I would have chewed him a new one - BIGTIME.
I woulda hooked myself and aborted the dive just to have the oppertunity to take him to court and teach him a lesson. Just reading some of the stupid things some pricks have decided to do regardless of the warning is making me furious.

If you carried a power head, chambered for say .458 Winchester Magnum, jacketed for penetration. A hole in the boater's hull should get his attention, probably kill a jetski....:wacko:

Diversauras once bubbled...
If you carried a power head, chambered for say .458 Winchester Magnum, jacketed for penetration. A hole in the boater's hull should get his attention, probably kill a jetski....:wacko:
or a speargun:) nail the prick to the warning flag - WARNING DIVERS BELOW would take on a whole new meaning.

I heard about one guy, might have been my OW instructor :wink:, tell us in class that he was diving a wreck somewhere when giant treble hooks came falling from above. Turns out a fishing charter thought the wreck would be a good place to catch some fish. The divers very carefully took the hooks and attatched them to the wreck and tugged. Can you imagine the whole boat trying to raise a wreck??

R

SquintyPete once bubbled...
OK I apologize..
I will say in my defense it was only THEORETICAL.
Okay Pete.

To all ScubaBoarders, please use some judgement about what sort of materials you post in this thread given the turn it has taken, and what liability issues it raises for the owners of ScubaBoard.

Directions on building weapons will not be tolerated.

Now back to "idiots and dive flags don't mix" if you please :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom