How to ignore a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately a much more sobering thought on the subject.

Last week-end an Italian diver was almost decapitated and died because someone with a speedboat decided a diver down buoy was not worth considering.

The murderer hasn't been caught yet.

A buoy is compulsory in Italy, whether you dive in a lake or in the sea.

The episode happened in Lake Garda, just off Desenzano, if anyone is familiar with the area.

Looks like Italy is not the only place with idiots.

This from todays Sun Sentinel.

Deerfield Beach

Two N.C. scuba divers injured by 40-foot boat

Two North Carolina women were injured when a man ran over them with his boat while they were scuba diving less than a mile off Deerfield Beach, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said.

William Kehoe, 77, of Boca Raton was operating his 40-foot Sea Fox just before 4 p.m. Sunday when he saw a diver's flag in the water. Kehoe swerved to avoid the area but struck Kelly Moran, 34, of Carrboro, N.C., and Lisa Mace, 31, of Durham, N.C., the Sheriff's Office said.

Moran and Mace were treated for cuts, bruises and scrapes at Boca Raton Hospital and released later Sunday night.

Kehoe was cited for careless operation resulting in an accident with injuries. The Sheriff's Office was investigating.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-c3bdig6may06.story

Marc

This whole thing is absolutely amazing. I can't believe this kinda crap happens so often in the FL area :eek:

You all are making me re-consider getting one of those super-massive, yellow-innertube dive flag buoys!

Why bother?

I think I'm gonna see if the dolphin over in the Middle East that we've been using to de-mine the waters will sell me one of those surplus Iraqi mines. Then I'll stick a dive flag on top of it and use that as my dive buoy.

Whatcha think? Think it'll keep 'em away? :D

:boom:

SeaJay once bubbled...
Whatcha think? Think it'll keep 'em away?
LOL!

Sad part is, you might have to bring more than one mine. Once you got one, there's sure to be another :D

While diving in a lake cove in texas I had an incident where I was finishing my dive in about 20 foot of water and I heard splash then saw a rock fall right beside me. I kept hearing the splashes and proceeded to dodge rocks for the next 5 minutes before it stopped. After exiting my wife told me about how she had to get the owner of the park to get them to stop. When he approached them about it they said there was a large catfish down there blowing up all them bubbles. They had already had several beers so the guy kicked them out of the park for that. It still never ceases to amaze me some of the stupid stuff people will do to divers and there flags.
And as a side note about towing flags you need to speek to the local ranger about local laws. In west virginia (especially around mount storm lake) it is illegal to tow the flag and if you surface more than 100' away they will cite you for that.

A couple of my dive buddies were spearfishing in a local lake. A boat approached and tied up next to theirs. A diver was seen comming down and one of the guys was thinking "Hey, dad got here after all". As it turns out the diver was the local game and fish enforcement officer. He signaled them to end their dive and return to the surface. At the surface, he checked their license and catch. The game warden ran over their dive flag as he left the area. ;-0

Tanstaafl once bubbled...
A couple of my dive buddies were spearfishing in a local lake. A boat approached and tied up next to theirs. A diver was seen comming down and one of the guys was thinking "Hey, dad got here after all". As it turns out the diver was the local game and fish enforcement officer. He signaled them to end their dive and return to the surface. At the surface, he checked their license and catch. The game warden ran over their dive flag as he left the area. ;-0

The abuse of power that has been given to them is what I find really infuriating. Moreso than all of the other stupid stuff here! To have the local game warden interfere, or in my case the Department of Natural Resources... Is just pointless. To have them actually endanger someone's life (like they did in my case and in yours when he ran over the dive flag) is just unforgivable. How do you deal with the idiot who is given power? It's not bad enough that we get rocks thrown at us and such... We've then got to run for our lives when the safety zealots try to enforce... Safety. Does the government not see the irony in this?

I found out the other day from one of my dive buddies (Divewolf here on the board) that our run-in with the Department of Natural Resources did, in fact, result in a reprimand of the officer who drove his boat over us "to enforce safety." Apparently he was chastized and removed from boat duty for a while and placed on a much more boring assignment until he grew a brain cell. To be perfectly honest, I'm pleased with that result, and if DNR enforces their own rules, laws, and regulations on their own officers (as they should... Arguably MORE harshly, since they're supposed to be examples)... Well, then I must say that I have a tremendous amount of respect for the agency. Much moreso than I felt that day leaving the scene of the incident with DNR.

To whoever made that situtation right: Thank you. With all due respect for the law, I feel much more apt to abide by it myself if it's fair and just and not enforced in a hypocritical light. Of course I would have abided by the law regardless, but now I can do it with a genuine concern for safety and justice instead of out of spite, rage, and hypocracy. Thank you for making the situation right. What an enormous difference in the way I feel about DNR now... What an enormous difference good public relations and support of the general populous can make for you... All because justice was served. Thank you.

Hmmm,
there has been at least one Jet Skier dragged down about 15 feet or so, or so I hear.

That solution never occurred to me. Very interesting! I'll bet they know what the flag means now!

As I've always said about justice: People will do whatever they feel until you give them consequences to their actions. I can't say that I'd support scaring someone to death like that, but admittedly, revenge would be sweet. Unfortunately, I don't think it would do anything but inflame the relations between jetskiiers and divers.

Fun thought, though. :D

...But the general concept of "consequences to their actions" is a topic that I'm very much in support of. And the idea of scaring someone half to death like that... Well, it certainly would be nice to give someone that sort of reminder of "consequences!" :D

SeaJay once bubbled...

...Apparently he was chastized and removed from boat duty for a while and placed on a much more boring assignment until he grew a brain cell. To be perfectly honest, I'm pleased with that result...

Sorry SeaJay, but it sounds like this is few and far in between IMHO. One reprimand is not going to necessarily set an example. After reading all these posts, I have concluded that aside from worrying about your "trained" safety requirements, you also have to keep an eye out for the morons (including those that should have the wherewithall to be protecting you). One example of an idiot being ostracized is not good enough. Standards should be enforced and put into place. There are too many idiots who feel they have a right to do as they please because they have a wave-runner and/or a cigar boat (and all those in between).

Just some thoughts. I think all boaters should be licensed and at least take some type of course and test. Similar to a drivers license. I know this would not solve the problem, but it might lessen the occurrence..at least I hope it would.

If hunters have to take a hunting course before getting a license, then why should'nt a boater that has a 1000 lbs. weapon (it's a weapon in some instances)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom