How to practise cave skills with no caves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The important thing is make sure you're practicing the skills correctly to avoid letting incorrectly performed skills become ingrained habits. Video helps.

IMO one of the biggest differences to overcome is the lack of ambient light when cave diving.

In OW, running line or doing whatever is fundamentally easier because you can see without using your flashlight.

IMO one of the biggest differences to overcome is the lack of ambient light when cave diving.

In OW, running line or doing whatever is fundamentally easier because you can see without using your flashlight.

Not in our quarry! only inches of vis at the bottom and no light.

A blackout mask solves that problem in a hurry. Since many drills revolve around limited viz, putting on one of these makes the clearest water a total blackout. I picked up a pair of neoprene blackout masks that I carry in a pocket on open water dives in case anybody wants to play.

Blackout masks? Just close your freaking eyes. If something goes pear shaped you open them.

If you really want to simulate low vis, follow me around. They call me "mudpuppy 1" for a reason.

This past weekend, the wife and I were hanging out at a training platform and we noticed a very irregularly shaped PVC contraption with three diamonds/squares at different orientations and depths connected by oddly placed PVC runners. I assumed that it was a cave simulation in that the runners would possibly help you keep track of tank and fin hits as you traversed through the three main hoops?

In Sweden there are many people diving in old water filled mines, Different from caves but have some things in common.

Is there any closed mines around where you live, maybe it is possible to gain access.

Some mines you even can dive from inside a building, so its not so cold in the winter. :)

This past weekend, the wife and I were hanging out at a training platform and we noticed a very irregularly shaped PVC contraption with three diamonds/squares at different orientations and depths connected by oddly placed PVC runners. I assumed that it was a cave simulation in that the runners would possibly help you keep track of tank and fin hits as you traversed through the three main hoops?
That sounds like a typical OW bouyancy course. The "runners" keep the diamonds pointed in a common direction. You are supposed to swim through the diamonds without touching them. The varying depths add complexity as you need to adjust bouyancy for each.

Use dog screws and run lines. You and your cave buddies each by 2 or 3 and you can set up a good course. Jumps T's broken line etc
617o77eJOKL._SX355_.jpg

That sounds like a typical OW bouyancy course. The "runners" keep the diamonds pointed in a common direction. You are supposed to swim through the diamonds without touching them. The varying depths add complexity as you need to adjust bouyancy for each.

Granted it is only the third buoyancy course I've come across. Just the first one with the runners. The other two were more "free float" for lack of a better term. I did enjoy the extra challenge of mentally keeping track of where I thought the runner pipes were and where I thought my fins and body were.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom