How to remove main o-ring from Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• IMG_7701.jpg
    IMG_7701.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 33
All the suggestions are great. DO NOT use a dental pick or metal screwdriver as this may nick the oring or put a scratch in the housing oring seating area.

thanks for the posts guys, there is almost no info on actually how to remove the o-rings on the ikelite website

Sorry if I'm assuming too much; I'm not sure how old your O-ring is, and I think no-one else has mentioned it, but you should keep your O-rings very lightly greased with a silicon grease designed for this type of thing. Until now I have always used the grease that came with my 2 Canon housings. I make it a rule that every single time I open my housing (ie break the seal) then I remove the O-ring (I've used an old credit card but I love the guitar pick idea!), wipe it thoroughly with a clean lint-free cloth, also wipe the housing part where the O-ring sits - inspect both visually for any stray hairs, dirt or defects. Then I put a tiny amount of grease on a finger (about the size of a tiny grain of rice), spread it on the O-ring a bit then pass the whole O-ring through my fingers several times to coat it. Then it goes back onto the housing (in a different orientation, so kinks don't form) for a second inspection & close. I start with clean, washed hands of course! Its a ritual I go through, its how I was taught and now I'm almost superstitious about it! Whole thing takes just a couple of minutes... I also never open the housing unless I know I can clean it and re-seal it like above - if I have to open it, then I don't use it underwater again until its re-sealed.
Good luck!
-Durwin

Trial an error my friend...
I once used a cc on the O-ring of a Canon housing. I greased it and couldn't detect any nick. When I enterd the water (on a photography course!) the houding started leaking. Camera history. Since then I am even more careful. After you removed the o-ring, I now check the houding inside a bathtub. Good luck.
BTW I'll try the guitar pics.

Back
Top Bottom