How to replace hose for SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m replacing all my rubber hoses for Miflex. I got the actual SPG out of the boot but I can’t get the old hose out of the boot I asked my GF to hold the boot while I pull but she can’t hang on. And even if I can manage to pull the old hose out I done see how to get the new hose thru the boot opening. What am I doing wrong? I sincerely apologize for a serious post instead of making fun of split fin divers.

Soak in hottest tap water to loosen. Will make boot pliable. 🚰

I’m replacing all my rubber hoses for Miflex. I got the actual SPG out of the boot but I can’t get the old hose out of the boot I asked my GF to hold the boot while I pull but she can’t hang on. And even if I can manage to pull the old hose out I done see how to get the new hose thru the boot opening. What am I doing wrong? I sincerely apologize for a serious post instead of making fun of split fin divers. I’m replacing all my rubber hoses for Miflex. I got the actual SPG out of the boot but I can’t get the old hose out of the boot I asked my GF to hold the boot while I pull but she can’t hang on. And even if I can manage to pull the old hose out I done see how to get the new hose thru the boot opening. What am I doing wrong? I sincerely apologize for a serious post instead of making fun of split fin divers.
Remove the hose end that goes to the first stage; it is smaller than the end that goes on the SPG. Heat the boot to soften it. Use a little silicone lube.

If you’re attempting to remove the rubber boot from the gauge run or soak the boot in hot water. This will soften the boot and make the job easier . Hope this helps

Throw the boot away and just attach the SPG to the new hose, with a bolt snap tied above it to clip to a waist belt D-ring.
Although I would possibly do that. It would require a waist belt D-ring and the correct length hose. As the OP is changing all hoses to miflex I somehow doubt this.

As others have said hot water and possibly some lube.

Thanks guys. I used hot water to get the spg out but I was concerned about getting the new hose thru, hot water did the trick for that as well.

Throw the boot away and just attach the SPG to the new hose, with a bolt snap tied above it to clip to a waist belt D-ring.

Agree get rid of the boot. I don’t know why these come on SPG/Hoses.

Now your connection is totally hidden away and you can never actually inspect it with out doing this whole hot water process every time. Yeah I guess in theory you can do a bubble check with out looking at the connection but personally I like to see what in inspecting.

Also even though you rinse your gear after diving, salt water never really fully gets rinsed out from inside the boot (unless your pulling it off after every dive, but no one does this) so your SPG and the connection are always sitting in that corrosive environment. Ask any scuba technician im sure they can give you stories about super green SPG’s and fused connections.

Lastly aside for DIN/Yoke o-rings i think you will find SPG o-rings are one of the most common o-rings you need to replace. The boot makes this a royal PIA to change them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom