How to select a gauge console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This forum seems to be all about computers but I am looking for advice on selecting a gauge console. I'm thinking a compact 3-gauge console would be good, but cannot figure out how to choose among the options.

What are some of the options you want?

Have you looked at any at you local dive shop?

Have you tried Scubatoys or Leisure Pro yet?

Most come in mini or standard sizes from a number of different companies.

Help us with more info so we can point you in the right direction.

smallest is better, one of the newest Oceanic swivel ones are pretty small ... I had the old Oceanic console, I think its where the phrase "dive brick" came from, lol
console? use if needed , if you can, try out gages on your arm when you can, to see if you like that better

My 3 bay console has worked out well for my diving. I use the inline format so all 3 instruments are visible at a glance. There are some that have one bay on the back side (Sherwood?) which IMO are a PITA. I keep it attached to a left shoulder D ring with a short bungee and bolt snap. It's very comfortable for monitoring and navigating.

One consideration is the depth gauge location, that may ultimately give way to a puck computer. If you stay with a common full size SPG & compass you can transplant them to a future computer console boot. You may also jump directly to a compass/computer/SPG set-up. Most computers need a special boot designed to accommodate the buttons.

You are sure to hear many suggestions to "just say no to consoles" and mount all but the SPG on your wrists and that's also a common configuration.

There are ups and down to each.

Pete

You are sure to hear many suggestions to "just say no to consoles" and mount all but the SPG on your wrists and that's also a common configuration.

There are ups and down to each.

Pete

Count me among this group. I believe a gas integrated wrist mounted computer would be the way to go for any newer diver acquiring gear. However, most of us have started our careers with gauge consoles. I would look to find a great system like these slightly used which these days can be acquired for 50 cents on the dollar...

Oceanic Worldwide - Personal Dive Computers - VT3

Suunto - Suunto Vytec DS

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think that one serious drawback to air integrated computers for new divers ... cost ... it's why I still do not have one

I'm inclined to think that one serious drawback to air integrated computers for new divers ... cost ... it's why I still do not have one

I'll go a step further and say that IMO all of the integration anyone needs is between their ears. Counting on electronics to know cylinder pressure is way too high on the gadget factor scale for my liking. Save the $$.

Pete

When you say you can't choose among the options, what sorts of options are you talking about?

I have the type of console with 2 gauges (actually SPG and comp) facing one side and compass on the back I like it because it's more compact that way. But, I don't need to use my compass that often; if I did I'd probably not like it that way.

Thanks everyone for offering advice.

I am looking to replace a very old in-line 3-gauge console with something lower profile. I have a wrist computer (Manta) that gives me depth, so one option would be an SPG-and-compass only, which I've rarely seen. Is that because it's better to have a backup depth gauge and not just rely on the watch computer?

I like the idea of having two on one side, one on the back, because the three gauge in-line setup looks sort of huge. But then again, how do I feel about flipping it over all the time? Maybe if I generally don't check depth on the console I don't have to worry about this. I'm wondering what experiences others have had.

My biggest question has to do with what people like and regret about their own consoles. Are there brands that have better readouts and easier-to-use compasses? Are there features that differ among brands and styles? Are there some gauges that give more information than others, like more gradations in the PSI readings so you can distinguish between say 1100 and 1200?

Back
Top Bottom