How to set the GN of S&S Ys-27dx?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelem

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought the Sea and Sea Ys-27dx. My camera is Fuji f31fd. I mainly use the auto mode to point and shoot.

How to set the GN of the strobe?

I think the highest GN is 20.

When (by distance) should I set to 1, 10 or 20?

Thanks.

The guide number (GN) is simply a means of indicating the maximum amount of power that the strobe can produce. Its primary use is now a means of comparison among strobes. There are formulas using GN's to determine exposure based on distance to subject. Remember that underwater GN's are 1/2 to 1/3 of the land based values. Also be aware that the distance figure could be either feet or meters. Just be aware of this if you want to make calculations.

Guide number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For an illustration of the control location, find the product page for the YS 27 at:

Sea & Sea USA - Underwater Photography Cameras & Video

There is a dial on the lower back right side of the strobe. There will be no set level for this control, though you are correct in noting that is is mostly distance sensitive.. You will most likely take a picture, check exposure, then correct and reshoot for the subject if necessary. Remember that a light colored subject on a light colored background will need much less exposure than a dark subject/dark background. The histogram function on your camera might help determine proper exposure.

Use your manual exposure mode if available. Set ISO from 100 to 200; set your aperture high ƒ5.6-ƒ 8.0. Without your strobe on, take a couple of photos of the general water scape at your depth. Adjust your shutter speed to obtain a pleasing background color (faster is darker/more underexposed). Finally use your strobe control to get the right exposure for your subject.

We'll see how many corrections I get.

Back
Top Bottom