How to stop the fog up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually flush my cam housing with air from the cylinder. This air is dry (it should be....). My personal home-brewn procedure is:
- Flush the empty housing (blow air into it)
- Put the cam in
- Flush again
- While flushing close the lid

I usually put a silicagel bag into the housing as well.

22.gif

Dee, only a woman would think of that procedure.

Submariner, I don't get bags from them. I use a nylon stocking but not assembly line produced as Dee did.

Time to send the wife to the store to buy me some pads! Thats a good idea though Gilligan, just in case you do get a small leak. And I'll try the nylons, that is easier then sewing my own bags.

TedJ:
Dee has been watching too many sausage making shows on Food TV.

PPbbbbttttt :cheeky: :D

Dee:
cheryl..I think you can gt bags from them but a nylon works well. I use the packets, too but the little bags like Gilligan make are great. I made a bunch of them at one time from a pair of panty hose. Using a tablespoonfull of the dessicant, I tied them all at once then cut them apart. I cut the foot off and tied the first tight knot. From there it's gel-knot-knot-gel-knot-knot-gel-knot-knot-gel-knot-knot-gel-knot, etc. Then I cut between the knot-knots. Understand?

That's ingenious! Right on sister! :thumb:

And Ted.. you leave my galpal Dee alone. You don't want Beast or Scubapearce knocking on your door one night to talk to you about this! :wink:

At some kraft stores or supermarkets have cloth reuseable tea bags that should be about the correct size to go underneath or beside the camera in the housing. C-5000 and PT-019 housing.

I just ran into this the last time I used my camera. Opposite situation. I changed the batteries on my digital topside in fifty-plus degrees (no choice) and the water was in the low forties. Condensation from the air topside was really fogging up my lens. The dessicant eventually worked, but I was advised to put anti-fog on the inside of the housing.

I am seeing many good ideas here as well.

Dee:
PPbbbbttttt :cheeky: :D

Remarkable, that's exactly what my accountant Marjorie says to me on numerous occasions, and believe me I listen to her. :cheeky: :cheeky:

Actually the technique works great for saving onions too. I just don't cut them apart until I want to use them and then I cut them off from the bottom one at a time.
TedJ

I use dricap (the brand) desiccator capsules, model 14 (8x40mm cylinders). A bag of 100 is available from www.tedpella.com for about $25. I use two inside my casing, and put them in the night before. It works like magic! No matter how cold/hot it gets, there is no fog. Strangely enough, when I use anti-fog in addition to the capsules, there is a better chance for condensation. I've found that condensation is like ice - it forms first where there is dirt on the lens. The inside of the lens has to be surgically clean. As long as i don't need to open the case, all is well. If I need to open the case, I try to give it as much time as possible before going into the water and add a fresh capsule; sometimes I will get a little fog when this happens, but it goes away in 10 minutes or so. The capsules can be recharged a few times in a toaster oven, and they change color to indicate enhaustion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom