how to train breath holding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much of a factor is age? Probably for someone doing it for many years, not much, but I am a SCUBA diver turned recreational free diver and would like more down time. When I was a kid, I know I could hold for 90 secs + but don't do much better than about a minute while swimming now. I just turned 56.

I'm 54...for another month and a half. My younger buddies, 35 and 21 are better than I am.
One thing I notice every time I'm out, the longer I'm in the water (assuming no current) and once I get past 20 or so breath hold dives for the day, the longer I can stay down. Up to a minute and a half or more.
The first dives of the day...I just do them without seeing any fish, just to get them out of they way because I can barely make 40 seconds. Same laying on the couch.
I can be in the water for 3-4 hours and get longer breath holds. I usually stop because I'm hungry...or it's getting too late.

How much of a factor is age? Probably for someone doing it for many years, not much, but I am a SCUBA diver turned recreational free diver and would like more down time. When I was a kid, I know I could hold for 90 secs + but don't do much better than about a minute while swimming now. I just turned 56.

I have never seen scientific studies on this, but anecdotally it seems the reverse to me. I have gotten better and better as I entered middle age (now 37), but I never could, and still can't, beat my Dad (now 73).

Also anecdotally, I remember Brett Gilliam used to tell a story when he was 20-something and spear fishing off St Croix, and he just couldn't keep up with the 50-somethings who were going down to 130 feet to shoot fish.

One thing I notice every time I'm out, the longer I'm in the water (assuming no current) and once I get past 20 or so breath hold dives for the day, the longer I can stay down.

Just got back from Bonaire and the guides on this one trip we did commented that she noticed that my time toward the end got longer. She believes it's in your mind. After you've been down a few times, you start getting more relaxed or confident or something. Perhaps it's also getting your lungs more acclimated.

Rhone Man, I can't even imagine 130 ft!!! WOW!

Brad

Rhone Man, I can't even imagine 130 ft!!! WOW!Brad

I can't even imagine touching sand at that depth, much less stalking and shooting fish... :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom