How to turn my scuba tank into a PC Air Duster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avengedkevinfold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

The name says it all. Tired of paying $5+ for a PC duster can. I've seen solutions for $100+. I'm looking for a solution under 30 bucks.

Thanks!

The name says it all. Tired of paying $5+ for a PC duster can. I've seen solutions for $100+. I'm looking for a solution under 30 bucks.

Thanks!

You need a tank, a first stage, a drysuit hose and one of these:

Innovative Scuba Air Nozzle

Make sure that before you blow into any fans, that you stop the blades with something, since the bearings don't usually hold up well at a million RPM. :cool:

This is a genius idea.

You need a tank, a first stage, a drysuit hose and one of these:

Innovative Scuba Air Nozzle

Make sure that before you blow into any fans, that you stop the blades with something, since the bearings don't usually hold up well at a million RPM. :cool:

actually it is bc inflator hose..

I recently wanted to do something similar. I wanted to be able to run some of my air nailers without having to haul my compressor around.

I went Harbor Freight and bought an inexpensive pressure regulator, to lower the 135 ip to more useable levels, with a gauge that shows the out put pressure of the pressure regulator and some quick disconnects. I had a male bcd fitting screwed that into the inlet side of the pressure regulator and the female hose quick disconnect to the outlet. Tied a piece of light rope to the pressure regulator to hang it on the tank valve. All I have to do is put a reg set on the tank hook the BC hose to the pressure regulator and voila a regulated source of air I can take almost any where.

I probably have less than $30 dollars in parts.

The product linked above...
Also, found this while googling:
Scuba tank to power air tools? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

you can get tire fill nozzles too for it. Great for inflating rafts for the family to float around in while you dive, or a flat tire at a dive site.
The air nozzle is good for dusting out gear and other things at a dive site as well.

130-150PSI coming out of the 1st stage low pressure side is PLENTY.
I only crank my big air compressor in the garage to 125PSI when cleaning out PCs.

Just go out in the driveway to do it, its going to make a mountain of dust with that much PSI over the little can-o-air. :wink:

My favorite are customers that smoke and have cats and the computer has sat on the floor for many years before they brought it to me to work on. I wear dust mask when cleaning those nasty things out.

actually it is bc inflator hose..

Mine only fits my drysuit. My integrated inflator takes a bigger fitting, so I usually just call it a drysuit hose, but yeah, it fits normal inflators too.

flots

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 12:10 PM ----------

I recently wanted to do something similar. I wanted to be able to run some of my air nailers without having to haul my compressor around.

I went Harbor Freight and bought an inexpensive pressure regulator, to lower the 135 ip to more useable levels, with a gauge that shows the out put pressure of the pressure regulator and some quick disconnects. I had a male bcd fitting screwed that into the inlet side of the pressure regulator and the female hose quick disconnect to the outlet. Tied a piece of light rope to the pressure regulator to hang it on the tank valve. All I have to do is put a reg set on the tank hook the BC hose to the pressure regulator and voila a regulated source of air I can take almost any where.

I probably have less than $30 dollars in parts.

I love Harbor Freight! For about $90 I ended up with an impact wrench, all the sockets and a set of jack stands for the car.

For another $120 I got new front rotors and brake pads on the internet, including delivery.

An awesome, easy brake job for $400 less than the garage quoted, only took a couple of hours and I get to keep the tools. :cool:

Last edited:
Not sure about this, was told this by my HP sales guy. Keep the pressure low on the output because it can build up a static charge and harm the computer.

i have both the air gun and a tire inflator in my save a dive kit, works great.

Jim breslin

You can also buy a bit that will allow you to pump up a car tire with a scuba tank but I haven't seen one in 10 years (maybe people were making stupid user mistakes with them).

I have one of the blower nozzles and use it on a fairly regular basis to clean my PC. They work like a charm. Don't bother with them under water though. They're good for cleaning PC's but a poor stop-gap replacement for insufficient skills when it comes to blowing up a DSMB.

R.

Depends on the nozzle you have. Mine works very well for it. It's all rubber and is operated by bending it.

I got this blowgun and I think the length on the barrel helps to tame the flow some. Air Gun "BLACK"

If you have one that is too high pressure you can also file some slots in the side near the tip like a muzzle brake. Will direct some of the flow out to the sides.

Here's the tire chucks:
Tire Inflator "Standard Model"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom