How to use doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to have to disagree with most of a VERY thoughtful, well written post, DA, (as your posts always are) - but at the end of the day, the OP is not qualified at age 14 and <25 dives.

Nor is the OP's reasons for wanting this valid - again, at this point in time, and at this stage of his diving experience. He should not be thinking "deeper and longer" -

Not to mention, unless he has a trust fund, super indulgent parents, or a hellofa part time job (heck, at 14 in most states he can't hold down most jobs b/c he's too YOUNG) - tech diving, which doubles are only the start - is very expensive.

Plenty of other courses he can take; should read the excellent advice given in this regard; I 2nd the Rescue Diver certification 100%.

that's fine theoretically, larry, but jameson can't dive doubles until he's *much* older than 14.

the mother has spoken.

... the risk of doubles is minor, and again the risk will be minimized by having good training and/or mentoring, suitable experience and good judgement.

Specifically, (and to a large degree for anyone of any age):

1. The truth is that doubles do give you a lot more gas, but in some cases no more or very little more than a single 130. So if the problem is one of not being able to monitor time, depth, etc, then don't dive anything larger than an AL 80.
Two tanks means twice as much gas and potentially twice the nitrogen load. At age 14, with unfused epiphysis, the consensus of the diving medical community is that it's really not a very good idea.

that's fine theoretically, larry, but jameson can't dive doubles until he's *much* older than 14.

the mother has spoken.

If you recall (since you were present for my first dive in doubles), I was 20 and it was my 41st dive when I strapped Jason's double LP95s on my back.

Just thought I'd throw that out as a measuring stick, perhaps...

Two tanks means twice as much gas and potentially twice the nitrogen load. At age 14, with unfused epiphysis, the consensus of the diving medical community is that it's really not a very good idea.
I agree...but you are assumming that just having doubles means using all that gas on one long or deep dive. One does not automatically mean the other. And, again, in terms of potential gas, a single 130 has as much gas as double 72's, so it is not the second tank that is the problem.

Even with two singel 80's are you also saying 2 dives per day is bad for a person under 18?

the mother has spoken.
This is odd coming from the lady asking about double 6's in the dive shop last weekend. :D

Just a thought, but once J gets diving, even at 14-16, double 45's might make more sense than an 80. They trim really nice.

I didn't know that diving doubles means someone is diving tech.

I agree...but you are assumming that just having doubles means using all that gas on one long or deep dive.

He's not assuming anything. He's responding to the OP's own reasoning for wanting to dive doubles: "so i could go down deeper, and stay down longer."

The implication is that he can't dive as deep or long as he wants with only one tank of gas.

He's not assuming anything. He's responding to the OP's own reasoning for wanting to dive doubles: "so i could go down deeper, and stay down longer."

The implication is that he can't dive as deep or long as he wants with only one tank of gas.

Thal is right about the consensus of the diving medical community. There is a reason that dive agencies have put a limit on the depths of junor divers, and it is not because they threw a dart at a board and came up with a number. There is nothing definitively known for sure, but there is a belief supported by some evidence that deep diving has a detrimental effect on people who are still growing, and it could lead to permanent problems. Why would you risk that?

You are a few years from being past that stage in your life. Have some patience! Dive as often as you can within your present limits. Learn as much as you can in doing that. Find a mentor you can trust to guide your through this early stage in your learning.

Then, with the proper "I can learn it in due time" attitude, in a not too many years we will all be learning from you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom