How useful is an illiterate but bilingual DM/Inst?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba gnome

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I can only speak my second language with native non accented fluency but am unable to read/write in that language.

Will future employers automatically disqualify people from those positions asking for bilingual fluency based on this?

The reason I am curious is because I perused some job ads and it seemed most emphasized the speaking and communication part but nothing else.

Very useful, in certain locations. For European languages, being able to speak it means you will understand a lot of how it is written. You profile says you are in Bangkok but not which nationality you are - a farang speaking Thai would be pure gold to any operation in Thailand, and a Thai national fluent in another language is pretty much guaranteed a job.

I am not multilingual by any means - I can count, say please and thank you, order beer and tell taxi drivers to get lost in 9 different languages but the only language i speak with any fluency is German - I can run a dive boat and make briefings and deal with guests in another language and that serves me very well indeed at the moment. And this was all learned on the job, so it's only "diving Deutsch".

for the dive professional - fluency in another language is almost essential, and the illiteracy to some extent can be overlooked because you will inevitably be working with somebody who can translate the paperwork.

Hope that helps

C.

As Crowley already said I think it is more important to talk to people than writing letters an e-mails. And if there are difficulties I would tell the people responsible before you start the job. Just thell them that this is a problem but you are bilingual in these two languages. Depending on which area you go and which languages you speak you will be taken if you are able to read/write in a certain language or not. The important part is to talk to people and make them feel comfortable... for the rest there might be other people helping you with the paperwork-stuff. Don't worry too much - just try and then you'll find your way through!

Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom