Where to do DM & IDC Oct-Apr with good future potential

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furyf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi!

I got my AOW less than 6 month ago, and only 30 dives under my belt. However during my 3 month backpacking trip in SE Asia last year, diving turned the trip into a "where is the good diving in this country" trip. That being said, after diving in Thailand(Koh Tao), Malaysia(KK), Bali(Amed), Philippines(Malapascual and Morlborl), and Las Palmas in Spain, I can't decide where I like the most.

I would like to sort of go Zero to Hero within about 6 month, with potential of coming back year after year if it all goes well. I currently work as a tourist guide at home, so my season is May to mid October, which leaves the rest of the year free. Getting away from the lousy winter we have here in Sweden is also a great motivation, so please don't suggest cold places.

I am not in my twenties anymore, therefore a PARTY HARD place is not really what I want, but the opportunity to some amount of night life is appreciated. I would like to someday become financially independent(aka no longer swapping my time for money, hopefully with my own business), and diving might just be the thing for me.

The positives of having me around is of course my language skills, I was born in China(I know how to deal with annoying Chinese tourists, trust me, I've seen it all), so I got my Mandarin(I heard that was kind of lacking in a lot of SE Asian places). I grew up in Sweden, which means my English is only inferior to native speakers, and I have a hook for the Scandinavians during Scan Season. I also spent a lot of time in non-profits(mostly student organizations), so I can deal with random things going horribly wrong and need a solution within minutes. There I also developed myself in the art of peer learning as a trainer, so spreading knowledge is something I enjoy.

Ok, this is starting to sound like an ad for hiring me, hehe.

Anyways, I would really appreciate some pointers on the things I should consider in choosing that I might not have thought of, and of course any suggestions on where to do this would be great. Fees are not a concern, if fees produce a better diver out of me rather than free (work my ass off) internships, I would always choose the way that makes me better and safer in the future.

Thanks for reading the long post, and have a potato on me :D

Hi furyf :)

I really enjoyed reading your post – you have this incredibly positive atttitude! :D
Don’t lose that! It’s infectious, and will go a long way to your student divers performing at their very best to master performance reqirements and qualify in whatever you teach them!

Anyways, I am one of the members of the Go PRO team at Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures, which is located in one of the destinations in your list of options – Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo!
We have a few PADI Divemaster internship candidates who are currently completing the performance requirements of their professional course right now at our premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre. You can check out what they get up to on a daily basis when following our twitter and facebook, which will give you the best idea of what you yourself would do on your own Go PRO internship program!
These Divemasters-in-training are preparing for our next PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC), which will be starting soon –May 26th.
The Go PRO team are solely responsible for the professional diver training because due to the members’ variety of experience in the scuba diving industry, they are those elite who are qualified to counsel others.

Also, your fluency in other languages, particularly Mandarin, is an incredible asset (not just in South East Asia because there are Chinese communities all over the world).

Within 24 hours our Go PRO advisors, based at our Sabah Travel Centre, will reply you with a personalised itinerary for you to best achieve your goals to become an OWSI :)

Check out Bali - the variety and diversity of dive sites make it a great place to train, so you learn how to control students in a variety of settings - shore, boat, current, warm, cold, wreck, deep, shallow etc...

Bröla;7406749:
Hej Furuf, Vi är ett 5 * PADI center som utbildar allt från nybörjare till instruktörer och kör kurser hela året i Cebu,Filippinerna.
Hör av dig om tycker det låter intressant.

Det är även dit jag skall åka och kommer att vara på plats från den 1/9 furyf :) Har inte en susning om hur stor lya jag har på plats, tänkte inte på att fråga, men kanske att man får dela? Ska kolla upp :p
Svara i denna tråd då jag såg att du hade skrivit i min tidigare furyf :wink:

If you had an interest in the Caribbean, look at Roatan. Big diversity of dive shops, great dives, lower cost of living, and the high season co-incides with the time of year you'd like to be working abroad. I did six months a year in Canada and 6 months a year in the Caribbean for a decade, and the Bay Islands has been a big part of that. If you like, you can check out Roatan Diving, small groups, individualized attention, fantastic service, with monthly DM intakes and IDCs.

Ta en titt på Divemaster Internships på Cozumel, Mexico. Jag gjorde min DM & IDC här nere och äger nu min egen dykshop Cozumel Dive School här på ön. Jag jobbar i nära sammarbete med Divemaster Internship och GoPro Cozumel och efter IDC så erbjuder vi alla våra elever att stanna kvar för att få riktigt utbildnings erfarenhet genom att samutbilda med en erfaren instruktör för att certifiera dina egna elever. Vårat mål är att du är helt självgående instruktör med tillräkligt många certs i bakfickan för att klara dig själv när du är klar.

Learn to scuba dive and get your PADI diving certification

Cozumel Dive Academy | Become a Divemaster | Divemaster Internships | Scuba Instructor Training | PADI Divemaster Internships

GoPro Cozumel | PADI IDC | Cozumel Mexico Scuba Instructor Course Training | PADI Scuba Instructor Training

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom