Question Looking for Recommendations for Dive Trip in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick Star

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

I am looking for recommendations for the best places to dive in November. I live in the US, so I have a slight preference for closer locations (Mexico, Central America), but would be willing to travel to where conditions might be ideal during that month.

Cocos Island, Costa Rica, and Socorro Island, Mexico, seem pretty well regarded for interesting diving that time of year, but I have never tried a liveaboard before and the stories of missing out on dives due to seasickness (and regular illnesses being passed around in close quarters) give me some concern.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Thank you for your reply. Bonaire has been on my list for a while. I was not aware that the diving was good in November, but further research says yes.

On the liveaboard issue, is there such a thing as a good "first liveaboard experience?" If so, what kind of trip would this be?

Thank you again.

Do you have AOW and Nitrox? Many of the dives off the liveaboards are deeper than sixty feet and with multiple dives a day, you will be bumping into your NDLs on air. That being said, they're a good way to get a lot of time in the water over the course of a week. My favorite spot in the Caribbean is probably Turks and Caicos, and you have your choice of two different boats there, The Bahamas and Belize are nice too. The problem with the Caymans is that if the weather keeps you from making the crossing over to Little Cayman/Cayman Brac you're limited to the sites around Grand Cayman, which aren't the best dives of the three islands. As much as I love Cocos Island, it's probably not a good first liveaboard--the crossing can be rough and you'll be on the boat for ten days. The dives can be more challenging too. Socorro is similar.

I have Nitrox, and will be getting AOW (much belated) this summer. That being said, I greatly appreciate your advice. The videos I watched of Cocos/Socorro looked pretty rugged. Perhaps something to work up to.

A friend swears by Turks and Caicos. It's his go-to. Are the two boats you reference liveaboards?

Belize would be my choice for a first liveaboard. The Red Sea is a good choice from your location. A bit of a flight, but the diving is IMHO better than any Caribbean diving. Philippines is a bit of a flight from your side of the continent but the diving is excellent and lots of dive resorts to choose from.

I have Nitrox, and will be getting AOW (much belated) this summer. That being said, I greatly appreciate your advice. The videos I watched of Cocos/Socorro looked pretty rugged. Perhaps something to work up to.

A friend swears by Turks and Caicos. It's his go-to. Are the two boats you reference liveaboards?

Thank you for your reply. Bonaire has been on my list for a while. I was not aware that the diving was good in November, but further research says yes.

On the liveaboard issue, is there such a thing as a good "first liveaboard experience?" If so, what kind of trip would this be?

Thank you again.
Late November or early November? November is still hurricane season. Even if there's no hurricane, it can be very rainy in the Caribbean.

I really enjoyed my time on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II. I had room 4 on the main deck. It's pretty small so I was glad not to have a roommate. That said, the room is only for sleeping anyway. Good boat, great staff, very nice Caribbean diving.

Both Aggressor and Explorer Ventures have boats there. Explorer Ventures is a little cheaper, both are fine, and they go to pretty much the same places.

Both Aggressor and Explorer Ventures have boats there. Explorer Ventures is a little cheaper, both are fine, and they go to pretty much the same places.
Didn't something happen there recently to the to the Aggressor boat?

Didn't something happen there recently to the to the Aggressor boat?
Not that I know about, the March 9 log is posted. One of the Belize Aggressor boats had a mooring break and is out of service being repaired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom