How well do you hold stops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what "range" do you consider acceptable for a stop depth.

A bit of background. I make a dive once ever other week or so with a buddy that involves the following exercise.

The first 1/2 of the dive we descend along a sloping bottom to anywhere between 33 and 38 metres depending on the day. The swim out is usually 20-25 minutes depending on depth. The computer usually shows running out of no-deco time about where we turn the dive (few min before or after). During the swim back we'll go part way over the bottom and then make an ascent to mid water so as not to accumulate too much deco-time and then hit our stops while free swimming. This is all done with zero visual reference because our viz is limited to about 3 metres. It's also sometimes done in the dark. The tasks are split so one of us controls stop depths and uses his body and light-beam to create a visual cue for depth and the other controls navigation.

We both have pretty good buoyancy control and over time we've developed much tighter control over this manner of ascent. We deliberately don't use a DSMB for reference because it would defeat the purpose of the exercise. Deco usually clears by the 9 metre stop according to the computer but the dive plan includes about 10-12 minutes at 6m because it takes that long to swim back to the point that we re-encounter the bottom again. The last part of the dive is usually another 8-10 min--give or take--from 6 metres and up and we'll surface after 45 or 50 minutes.

We're doing this strictly as a skills exercise to practice making clean stops and navigating accurately using nothing but instruments. We've probably made 50 dives like this since we started with it and I'd say we're getting pretty good at it.

Here's the thing. You can never nail your stop with centimeter accuracy. The best I can realistically manage on a "good" stop is probably a bandwidth of about 30cm (+/- 15cm) and that requires pretty much not taking my eyes off the depth. 1/2 metre (+/- 25cm) is more like the norm.

So for people who do something similar, what target do you set for yourself in terms of depth variation for holding stops and what do you normally achieve in reality?

R..

P.S. if you're prone to one-upmanship I would appreciate it if you could wait until the people who actually do these kinds of dives answer first. We all know that you can hold a stop to millimeter precision behind a keyboard. I'd like to first hear from people who do this on a regular basis. Okthx.

R..

P.S. if you're prone to one-upmanship I would appreciate it if you could wait until the people who actually do these kinds of dives answer first. We all know that you can hold a stop to millimeter precision behind a keyboard. I'd like to first hear from people who do this on a regular basis. Okthx.

R..

<5cm. Anything outside of that is for goons/losers.

JK. A foot or so. When my gauge says "71" and I'm shooting for 70, I just go up till it says 70. I find that fixing it quickly helps, rather than letting it go to 72...73...74... Do a task, look at the gauge, fix yourself, do a task, gauge, fix, etc. Sometimes, you might need to divide a "task" into smaller chunks in order to maintain your buoyancy in the appropriate window, especially if you've got a lot going on (bottle rotations, scooters, gas switches, bag shoots, low vis, etc).

A few ft left or right really doesn't matter. Too many folks get bent out of shape about it, imo. I think you *should* be able to hold it precisely, but I don't think you always *need* to.

I try to hold stops within a foot. In conditions like what you describe, I would be challenged to do that.

BTW, Imperial divers have an advantage, because our gauges don't change until we've gone off depth a foot. Metric divers have that pesky 0.1m gauge change, so you know immediately if you are going up or down. I love metric settings to help me polish things to a fine shine; Imperial makes me feel better about things :)

Under "normal" circumstances, the goal is +/- 1 fsw. We'll accept +/- 2 fsw. Beyond that, time for a training day.

Thanks for the replies.

sounds like were in the same ballpark then. Funny it's never occurred to me to wonder how picky other people are about this.

R..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not picky, but I typically have a 3' range.
The difference is that I typically have a "wrappie thing", or I guess the technical term is "line holder" bobbing near me with a dive flag attached to it for reference.
It is easy to just watch the thing corking around and maintain depth and position on it as a rule.
I am often distracted by Clouds of Spadefish, Goggle Eyes, Sardines, Pilchards, or Little Tunnies on safety stops.
When diving deeper than 80' or so, I typically have a more difficult time as I am usually multitasking on fighting off Filefish, Triggerfish, and or the occasional shark from grabbing the Lion Fish and lobster bags during my "deep stops/half stops".

Chug
+/- diver.

1 ft but do find that will be a bit off if I find myself distracted by a sighting. Still marvel at my usual DMs who are both perfectly motionless throughout.

+/- 1 foot is what I shoot for. Now it may be a bit easier since the majority of my diving the last couple years has been freshwater. When you don't have current or waves to deal with it makes a difference. So what I try to do and I have a couple buddies that like the challenge is to hold stops at say 20, 15, 10, and maybe 6 feet. Then work on doing so while clearing a mask, swapping regs, air shares etc. I've found that over the last few seasons that by paying strict attention to my body navigating and holding a target depth without looking at the depth gauge is getting easier. To the point where in very low vis I'll swim a bit and purposely try to use my ears, body, feel of the drysuit, etc to determine my depth. Then on the surface check the profile on my predator. Seeing that straight horizontal line is pretty cool.

I am not very good yet but the padi RecTec instructor that did my Deep course told me to try for within 1 foot. I am not there.

I hold within one foot at twenty and ten feet.

I still need practice on the lower stops when task loaded with bottle change and scooter stashing...in the blue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom