How women measure up as divers compared to men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I don't disagree with your experiances and have found scuba to be a condescending sport on many levels, but one study is not science. When a study is repeated many times with the same result every time, it becomes science.

oh, duck, of course a single study qualifies as science! There isn't any rule saying that research has to be replicated in order to be within the realm of science. Naturally, others may challenge the conclusions and attempt to refute them, including through replication of the research, and if a study is replicated with the same results, then the results are more convincing, but to say that a study that was conducted using scientific methodology is not science is simply fallacious. (I think you might be confusing the terms "science" and "fact." They are not synonymous.)

Best divers I have ever seen underwater were Japanese women.
Worst divers I have ever seen underwater were Japanese women.

When they're good, they're very good but when they're bad they're better...... I mean worse.

The conclusion does not surprise me. In my experience with women as dive buddies, they are better than men, for a few reasons:

Less testosterone. Not only does it make them less likely to do something stupid, it also makes them more pleasant to listen to (or, more precisely, not listen to), on the boat. They don't feel the need to detail their dive exploits to their fellow divers.

Smaller lungs. I am reasonably fit, and pretty good on air, but my female buddies are always carrying a substantial reserve for my benefit at the end of the dive.

More patient. No need to see the whole reef on this dive, they are content to just mosey along.

There is some downside to female buddies, however. The last time I buddied with a woman her long hair got tangled in my kit as she swam beneath me. She wriggled around a little bit, which, of course, made it worse. When we both settled onto the bottom so I could work her free, I got a funny idea for a joke. I took out my shears, put them in front of her so she could see, and snipped them a couple of times. NOT FUNNY!! I interpreted her screaming as a veto of my disentanglement plan, and worked on the knot until we were free. :D

I was commenting the other day how I liked scuba because it was gender neutral. I guess I don't see the negative attitudes. With that said I have never dove with a female dive buddy, and that is not on purpose. I just doing have any lady friends that dive. Maybe some day.

Sent from my DROID X2

Back
Top Bottom