Question How would you perform a deco shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi.

I would like to know how would you perform a deco shore dive? I mean how would you clear your deco:

A) would you slowing swim back to shore while clearing the deco

B) deploy the sausage and perform deco and then swim back to shore on surface

if theres nice things to look at then id follow the seabed and enjoy the fish while doing deco

Have normally lanned the deco stops where there is something to look at. Example local artificial reef / wreck which we dive on from shore has an upper deck which deco / deco drills are done on.
Have also swam the deco level back towards shore, just depends on the area our diving

Hi.

I would like to know how would you perform a deco shore dive? I mean how would you clear your deco:

This will change depending on conditions and location. As long as you're safe and watch the clock, do whatever you want.

Hi.

In an ideal world it's done while following the sand and looking at stuff, make life easy for yourself. Caveats being boat traffic and surge which may have you staying in deeper water, but if you have a clear run back to the edge of the water then take advantage of it!

Follow the curve back into the shore... ascend by swimming back to shore as your computer lets you. Curacao and Bonaire come to mind as ideal places to do this.

Primary concern for me would be which way is the safest. Coming in at a close second...which is less boring.

For me, in most cases, swimming in and clearing deco would be better than shooting your DMSB, clearing deco and doing a surface swim.

In the case of the first scenario:
1. There tends to be more to see
2. Who wants to do a surface swim if you do not have to?
3. Some of my best dives have been in 30 feet or less of water.

If I am hanging on a line, I can almost guarantee that I am itching to get to the surface...checking my computer and seeing how much longer I need to be under. I clear my deco, add my safety stop and take my dead time to move that last 10-15 feet to the surface. On the bottom, I am more likely to clear my deco, perform my safety stop (or in this case...poke around and perform a safety swim) and then stay there as I get caught up in looking around. As long as I have usable air, I am blowing bubbles. Tends to be inherently more safe this way in that regard plus you see more.

And have I asked...who wants to do a surface swim?

Completely depends on conditions.

For me, at my local lake, I just follow the bottom profile back up . In light deco I can clear without stops. A little more and I will make it to a depth then start trolling at that depth profile until clear.

Now if it were ocean, with some breakers to deal with, probably shoot a bag and hang clear of the surf zone. Unless there are currents to deal with. Then I would be making a different plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom