How you found scuba..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was always something I wanted to try, but never did anything about until...

My wife and I honeymooned in Austrailia. We were on a boat to see the great barrier reef and we learned that they offered and "adventure dive" for those who were not certified. We jumped at the chance, loved it, and vowed to get certified.

I saw scuba in a James Bond movie (thunderball? - not sure) and had to try it. I was 16. I mowed like 100 lawns to afford the lessons and basic equipment but it was well worth it!

For me it was watching so many of the Undersea Wold of Jacques Cousteau shows. Also I have always had a love of the sea. I learned to sail when I was 12 and always liked being around the water either sailing, fishing, or swimming. Unfortunately, I learned to dive after college, Otherwise, I could possibly see myself doing something more environmentally focused.

I'd been interested in scuba since I was about 13 (and I didn't even learn to swim until I was 11 or 12). I was watching a James Bond film--"Never Say Never Again"--and thought that it'd be pretty cool to do.

I nursed the urge to learn scuba until I was 20. I was working as a lab assistant in the marine bio lab on campus when a woman from biology walked in and asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to learn scuba. I nearly fainted, and then all but jumped down her throat telling her that I was down for it.

11 years ago, we started classes after that with two other people, and I've never looked back since then. I took a few years off mostly due to circumstance and lack of funds, but I've re-awakened my addiction to scuba the past couple of years--this year especially.

I call it the “three guys’ testosterone” theory.

Basically, if one guy thinks of something it’s an idea.

If a second guy hears about it and says “hey great idea, count me in”, it’s a plan.

However, when the third guy says “count me in too …” you’re all committed lest any one of you look like a wimp – the testosterone levels prevent anyone from not going through with it.

For us it went like this:

Guy 1: “I’m going to Hawaii in July and I was thinking of getting scuba certified before I go …”
Guy 2: “I’ve always wanted to try that. Call me if you decide to do it”
Guy 3 (me): “Me too .. count me in if you go”

Whamo! Three guys – no backing down. 3 weeks later we found ourselves freezing our butts of in February in Lake Travis. We got certified.

Late Sunday evening, back at the LDS, as we were returning our gear and celebrating our success, the following conversation occurred:

Guy 1: “So, you still thinking about skydiving?”
Guy 2: “Yeah, I’m still thinking about it”

I shut up and got the heck out of the shop in a hurry …

In 2004, I made two discover scuba dives, while on our honeymoon, in Australia. I've been hooked ever since. My wife blames that trip for creating my current scuba addiction. She just thought that I'd dive while on vacation. Boy was she mistaken.

Ever since "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "Sea Hunt" and the various Bond movies I wanted to learn to dive. However it wasn't until I was 48 that I got the proper combination of time, money and resources together in the right spot. I was in Grand Turk and my boss says "If you want to do an adventure Scuba my wife is going, I can't and I would feel better if someone was with her" he paid, I went...the rest is history. All I can say is, man what a bunch of wasted years before...

Mike

I fell in love with a dive boat captain and to keep him away from the dive bunnies on his boat, I learned to dive. He is long gone with a dive bunny but I learned to love it for myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom