How you write deco plan on your slate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharpie on white duct tape on slate 2 of my wrist slate. I keep the top one open for use during the dive.
Flip it up and my plan is there. End of dive pull the tape and refresh with new strip of tape. Also keep a copy in my wetnotes with back up, bail out, and contingency plans.

I use wet notes. I write the plan on the left side, with no deco gas plan on the right side. After confirming with my team I put the lowest MOD number of the team. Then notes go in my short’s right pocket.

additionally I put down an abbreviation of the site and the GF I am using. But that’s for just FYI for later.

I use a wetnote. I have tables for 10-60 mins bottom time for all kinds of depths with standard mixes. Multideco can generate the table for you, then you just have to transfer them to your wetnote. There are a few ways to do this:
a. Use a sharpie and copy the tables
b. Print the tables and laminate
c. Print on waterproof paper like TerraSlate, then cut it into the size of your wetnote.

White electrical tape with a very sharp/fine marker does the trick.

There are three tape stripes:

- Anticipated dive plan
- Deeper and longer
- Bailout (I am on CCR)

Label each plan on top. Write deco stops/time. On the bailout plan circle/mark the stops where you must perform gas changes. On the bottom write the estimated gas needs and what you have.

The strips go on Petrel: two on one side and bailout on a different side.

I also use a wrist slate with white duct tape on it. I then write it on with a Sharpie. This approach is really easy and allows me to keep my old plans for reference.

I write my planned deco schedule, my lost deco gas plan, my maximum Time To Surface, and my minimum gas.

I would stick white duck tape to my dive light body with my expected schedule. Backup tables in my thigh pocket. I never had a problem even I'm caves but the lights are getting too small...

Thanks. When you write it on white duck tape with sharpie, do you put additional transparent tapes on it to prevent ink wash?

I cut some white plastic off a carton in the recycling bin. Rub it with fine sand paper and use a pencil. Never came off. I write 3 alternative plans over the wreck on the day. For different bottom times, my gas is already fixed. Air and 50% O2. I write deco times for both gases in case of loosing one. I find when writing down a dive plan you’re going through the dive in your head and is a great surface check. I write the information exactly in the same order every dive. Dump the sheet of plastic in the recycling bin when I get home.

Thanks. When you write it on white duck tape with sharpie, do you put additional transparent tapes on it to prevent ink wash?
When I use tape to mark cylinders (for the mod), I use tape that does not suffer from that.

I think I use this one in yellow: PVC Floor Marking Tape - AT8

(Don’t remember exactly which one of their tape I use)

I don’t use tape for deco plans but maybe you can use that too?

Why do you need to write it down? Just memorize it, along with the heuristics to adjust on the fly if your actual profile diverges slightly from the plan.
My excuse is I’m 69 and don’t use a dive computer. I like to have a max bottom time for those days when everything is right with the world and the vis is super. And a min. bottom time for the day we wish to forget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom