How young/old for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son completed his OW 2 years ago when he just turned 10 and I feel confident he was ready for it. He is very, very safety conscious; hopefully he stays that way during the teen years. But I would have to say that the “readiness” for youth or adult is an individual thing. Ask the instructors how many adults they see that are not mentally, physically, or maturely ready. He has been in swim lessons since he was 6 months old and has swim competitively for several years so he is very comfortable in the water
My interest in diving was renewed and he wanted to be included. I signed up for the refresher and the instructor just asked if I wanted to complete the entire OW with him, Sure! I say all of this because it allowed me to see first hand and under water how my son performed and the instruction he received. After all, he is my dive buddy and I feel he should be able to function as any other dive buddy for the most part. But he and most children have definite differences. He weighs about 75 pounds so I don’t think that I can count on him throwing me over his shoulder and carrying me out of the water.
I have to credit the instructor that taught his confined water sessions and also the one from his open water, he did a referral in Florida for OW, it’s a little warmer there in Dec. Neither of the instructors gave him anything. He earned everything he did and performed it well. As a matter of fact he did several of the skills better than or as well as the adults and scored better on the test than one of his adult classmates.
He is now 12, was diagnosed last year with Type 1 diabetes and has about 25 dives under his weight belt from quarries, springs, rivers, ocean. We both plan on more than doubling that number this summer and he wants to complete his Jr- AOW.

With all of that said I think the readiness is a very individual thing and I still use extreme caution when diving with him. I have little experience myself and realize that as well. We dive in only good conditions and limit our depth to typically 20ft. or less with one dip that we made to 40’, PADI states limits of 40’ for JR-OW. I am never more than arms length away from him and for the first several dive would hang onto him the entire dive. I think more so for my comfort but he has never had an out of control bouyancy issue. If you think your child is ready find a good instructor and talk with them about their readiness. He loves diving and does very well and if he did not perform well I would not let him dive.

Five daughters have I. The first two have no interest in diving. The third one had no interest when it was offered but now regrets it. She will probably do OW this summer.

The fourth learned when she was 12, the minimum age in my family for training. She failed her exam the first time, studied for one week and passed. Her check-out dives were in the ocean, about two days after a storm passed over. We were in the water earlier this month and she did fine. She has completed eight dives, including 2 to 70 feet.

The fifth asks me about every three months when can she learn.

If they can do the work, then they can dive. I accept the responsibility of having my children in the water with me.

By the way, their ages now are 26, 21, 19, 15, and 8.

My daughter is hard headed like me. If she is determined to do it, she will keep bugging me. As said earlier, she is 11. I think she would do well. She loves the water and has been snorkeling a few times.
As for maturity. Well, she acts like any other 11 year old a lot of the time, but she has earned her spot as a 2nd degree black belt and Jr Instructor in TaeKwonDo. She knows when it is time to play and when to get serious.
The instructor my wife and I used (and will again this spring) is very good and very patient and has said he will put her in the pool for an intro if when we/she is ready to try.
Think for now, I will just not say anything and see when she brings it up again.
Thanks for all the replies.

I donned the gear for the first dive when I was ten, then got certified at 13. Basically I was infatuated with diving from a very young age, in fact I cant remember a time when I wasn’t planning on becoming a diver, started with my grandpa and father who were both divers and a stack of National Geographic magazines.

The odds were in favor I had above average size and strength and could fit into adult gear with some modifications.

Anyways just my thoughts on the subject.

JUMBO

Jethroish:
My 11 year old daughter told us this week that she want to learn to dive. Probably because she is tired of staying with grandma while we go off.
Wife and I both certified SSI. SSI has the ranger progam and I am sure others (PADI, NAUI) has similar programs for kids. We were told a while back that 12 and under are (supposed to be) limited to no deeper than 25 feet and with a certified adult. Makes sense to me. I ain't letting her go without one of us anyhow.
Now I realize that there is no law aboutthe age or depth thing, but what is the norm? She would like to go in the gulf with us this summer.
She has donned her mother's gear and sat with me in 5 feet of water (I did not let go of her BC) and she was just fine. She did admit to being a little nervous, but so was I my first time.
I would like for her to get certified so that we can make it more of a family activity.
She is in good physical health and is a good student as long as it is not one of us teaching her. Which it will not be.
I don't really know what questions to ask here, but am looking more for input from those who have/had a similar situation AND instructors that deal with children.
Thanks

As both an SSI AOWI and Scuba Rangers Instructor, I believe I am qualified to address this subject. You are correct, there are no laws when it comes to certifications... only recommended limits.

Rangers range between 8 - 12 Years old and Junior Open Water Divers rare from 10 - 15, so there is some crossover there. I have certified 11 year old Junior Open Water Divers and they have successfully dove to 60 feet with adult supervision. That is not within standard, and I didn't say it was OK... but again, there are no laws - only recommendations. The parental and dive leaders responsibility comes in making a sound educated judement about what the child is mentally and physically capable of.

Not knowing your child, I can not say for sure what she is capable of... but Open Water Ocean Diving is serious business. I took a 14 Year Old to 70 feet in Roatan on a wreck. He did fine, but had some issues on ascent and I had to hold on to him to make sure he did not ascend to fast. I don't think taking a child under 15 deeper than 40 feet is wise, unless you are a qualified Instructor, Dive Master or at minimum trained Rescue Diver that is willing and prepared to address situations as they arise. This means forgetting about enjoying the dive yourself. It means your full attention is on the child, ready to respond at any moment.

Often I take children snorkeling while their parents dive. The kids seem much more comfortable with this and it's always a thrill for them when they can snorkel above where their parents are diving. I believe that most junior open water divers are more comfortable and gain more enjoyment from diving in closed environements such as lakes, quarries, some narrow rivers, shallow lagoons or off beaches close to shore. It gives them a greater sense of confidence and sense of security. There are always exceptions, but it is up to you to make that determination. Whatever you do, don't force them to do something they don't 100% want to do.

Happy Diving

WE just got back from Fiji where the Dive operator had twin sons (12) they are both Master Divers. MASTER divers at 12!!!! They were with us on many of our dives and were very professional and enjoyable to be around. Heck if my Dad owned a dive shop in Fiji.........I'd be in Heaven. I asked their Dad if I could be adopted.........but I'm 52..........he just smiled...........Was that a no?

Happy Diving

WE just got back from Fiji where the Dive operator had twin sons (12) they are both Master Divers. MASTER divers at 12!!!! They were with us on many of our dives and were very professional and enjoyable to be around. Heck if my Dad owned a dive shop in Fiji.........I'd be in Heaven. I asked their Dad if I could be adopted.........but I'm 52..........he just smiled...........Was that a no?

Happy Diving

WOW two posts for the price of one.............sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom