How's the diving at Turneffe Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can you tell us about the diving at Turneffe Island? We're thinking about a trip there in a couple of weeks.

We think Turneffe Island Resort looks good and they sure have a nice price going so we're only interested in the diving. How are the reef's and the marine life?

A few years ago we did a liveaboard in Belize and we liked it. I guess we just don't want to be disappointed in diving from the island.

TIL concentrate most of their local diving around the southern part of the atoll within minutes of the lodge. Deep walls with spur and groove formation on the southern tip from the Elbow up to Dead Man's Cayes (look for lionfish there). Sloping sand with scattered coral on the Southwest side. They don't normally go further than Blue Creek. Prevailing southeasterlies and guest experience will be the deciding factor on which site they choose. They also do Lighthouse Reef Atoll.

Safe diving
Cyberdyver

TIL concentrate most of their local diving around the southern part of the atoll within minutes of the lodge. Deep walls with spur and groove formation on the southern tip from the Elbow up to Dead Man's Cayes (look for lionfish there). Sloping sand with scattered coral on the Southwest side. They don't normally go further than Blue Creek. Prevailing southeasterlies and guest experience will be the deciding factor on which site they choose. They also do Lighthouse Reef Atoll.

Safe diving
Cyberdyver

Thanks. To be more specific we'd like to know how you rate the diving. Is it great? Good? Fair? Passable but nothing like (fill in the name).

We're spoiled. We like Cozumel, Bahamas, T&C's, Cayman and the like. We thoroughly enjoyed the Belize liveaboard trip but I have to say, we thought the marine life was somewhat sparce compared to other places.

We're only going for the diving. Other amenities are not so important.

I get you. South Turneffe is one of my favorite places due to the sheer walls and deep canyons and I ALWAYS locate the endemic white spotted toadfish there. Dancer and Aggressor (& Nekton when they used to come) do the same Southern part around TIL meaning you have done the same sites they use. If you have your logbook you might find sites like Sayonara, Hollywood, Triple Anchors, Elbow, Myrtles Turtles, Black Beauty, T's Trail and so on. The healthiest coral is around the Elbow and is really spectacular with thousands of schooling fish around every full moon and you do get plenty of macro life everywhere. Belize is not the best place for pelagics but they do occur. You may not have had a local guide on the liveaboard but you will at the lodge and that makes a big difference in locating marine life which may be sparse if you wait for it to come to you. TIL is also known to spend big on marketing therefore reduced rates might not necessarily mean reduced service. Your DM will definitely make a big difference. Can't compare to Cozumel in vis, current, and pelagics (on some sites) but far better than Roatan. Can't tell you about Cayman.

Sure would love some more input!!!

If you haven't already, you should check out the recent thread "Great Deals at Turneffe Island Resort."

About the only thing I can think of to add is that TIR has a more laid back dive schedule than you get on a liveaboard. If all you're interested in is diving, you might be a little frustrated at the pace of TIR's dive schedule.

When we were there last year the schedule was two dives on Sunday and Monday, three dives on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (with an optional night dive on Thursday but if you were doing the night dive then for some weird reason you had to forgo one of the other Thursday dives), and two dives Friday. No diving on Saturday. No shore diving allowed. That's it. Fifteen dives in six days.

A large part of the allure of TIR is the laid back tropical island setting. No cars, televisions, etc. The accomodations, food and service are first-rate. Personally, I thought the diving was every bit as good as Cozumel, but the above water experience is certainly different. Not saying better, just different. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Hope that helps.

What about how they run their dives? Do you have to stay with the dive master or is it more of a "be back in an hour" type of style. I imagine some sites will require the group to stay together but I do photos and hate to be rushed.
We just booked today and I'm really excited!!!!!

I haven't been around here very long but is there any operation in Belize(apart from liveaboards-oooh!!) that will allow divers to go out on their own? I always thought it was the same rules everywhere: stick with the DM(leader), no gloves, no collecting souvenirs, don't break stuff, etc..........Isn't there a GOB statutory Instrument governing all this. That is what I was taught in my DM/TG class. I would like to know.

Cyberdyver
The Black Sheep

What about how they run their dives? Do you have to stay with the dive master or is it more of a "be back in an hour" type of style. I imagine some sites will require the group to stay together but I do photos and hate to be rushed.
We just booked today and I'm really excited!!!!!

Nay,

On the drift dives you will pretty much stay as a group, but we often got fairly strung out. Since you are diving with the same group of people each dive for the week (unless someone comes or goes mid week) the DM gets a pretty good idea of who they need to "watch".

For the moored dives, it is "follow the leader" for a tour and then back to the mooring at which point the DM heads topside and you are free to do as you wish provided you are back within about 50 minutes - our DM was not too hung up on this, but an hour was about the limit.

We did a lot of photography and were always lagging behind. There were no concerns raised and we always ensured that the DM could at least see us - no reason to give him any stress.

Back
Top Bottom