How's the diving in Ocho Rios, Jamaica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
This next spring break (1st week April '05) I can go to either the Marriott Resort @ Key Largo, FL or the Marriott in Ocho Rios, Jamaica using hotel points.

Is there good diving in Jamaica? I'm familiar w/the Keys and had a great time there a few years ago but know nothing about Jamaica.

Any advise on the dive quality there, good specific dives, restaurants in Ocho Rios, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill

i was there last october. the diving isn't great, but if you stay at sandals or beaches all-inclusive, the diving and equipment is free! i just couldn't find anything bad about that!! i've got pics if you're interested.

Jamaica diving is mediocre at best. I dove at the Sans Souci Lido in Ocho Rios. On a scale of one to ten with my local quarry being a one and Bloody Bay Wall being a nine I would put Jamaica at a two or three. They have destroyed their environment with overfishing. Go to Key Largo and dive the Spiegel. Much better time.

The 'vibe' in jamaica for spring break would be much more fun than Key largo, so if you want the party atmos with a few dives on the side, hit jamaica- if you want more of a dive trip with less of a spring break thing- then do key largo again. Ocho Rios diving only has a couple of sites- they are not great - I did them about 14 years ago, and they were showing wear then-I did them again recently and now they are more degraded. That being said, if you are on a trip for other reasons and were just going to add a spot of diving, don't be put off. It's not a dive only destination, but the dives are nice enough and will be a fun way to spend a coupple of dives- just don't expect anything pristine.

Back
Top Bottom