HP Hose Audit - Still Too Darn Long??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i'm still getting used to my hogarthian kit (four dives to date,) adjusting my harness, tank bands, wing gromet position, isolator angle, and hoses for optimum comfort & streamlining. i've been working on my hoses for the past week: sized from a 22" power inflator to an 18" & from a 32" drysuit inflator to a 26" & from a 24" SPG hose to a 22." the inflators seem alright, the 7 foot hose is a snap, and my 22" secondary doesn't seem too long anymore now that i've sized the necklace right ... but i'm concerned about the HP hose.

anyone versed in the hogarthian kit, please take a glance at the pic below and voice your opinion: is my HP hose still too long at 22 inches? i don't know if i can go much lower than that :( opinions from GUE-F or UTD-E alumni would be particularly helpful! pictured below in my kit are a set of X7-100s, HOG D1's, and a DSS torus 49.

kitleft.png

Last edited:
I think the length is probably ok, but I'd move that D-ring back a bit. Maybe as much as two inches. I don't know where you regularly dive, but if you can use a smaller boltsnap, that will help tighten things up a bit. I use the smallest size I can find, but I also don't use full finger gloves.

Also, watch where your lp inflater hose sits in relation to the bungee. The potential exists to the bungee to pull back the little collar thing, disconnecting your inflater hose. 18'' might be a little too short, the thing needs to reach your drysuit valve and your nose (comes in handy when scootering up and down hills).

Agree with AJ, if you are diving barehanded you could use a much smaller boltsnap. Also move the D-ring back about 1/2 way between its current location and the plate (maybe 2" but its hard to tell exactly)

thanks. the plan is to take this up to the great lakes this summer. i'm using a 4.5" snap in this picture, but i have a 3" snap i could use instead (same size on my 7' hose.) the thing is, i used to use that 3" snap on a 36" HP hose with my mares vector epic, and it was quite difficult to clip blind, in gloves.

your hose is fine. moving that d ring will solve your problem as my esteemed colleagues have already suggested.

you might want to put some inner tube on that corrugated hose to keep the inflator hose snug

I agree with everybody, except about one thing -- if you end up with numb hands at the end of the dive, you're better off with the bigger clip. And I've taken a bunch of GUE/UTD classes, and have never had an instructor say anything to me about the clip I have on my SPG (which is optimized for Puget Sound's cold, rather than nice warm bare-handed water). And yes, the ideal solution would be to figure out how to keep one's hands warm enough to be dextrous, and if you can figure out how to do that in very cold water, more power to you, because I can't.

I agree with everybody, except about one thing -- if you end up with numb hands at the end of the dive, you're better off with the bigger clip. And I've taken a bunch of GUE/UTD classes, and have never had an instructor say anything to me about the clip I have on my SPG (which is optimized for Puget Sound's cold, rather than nice warm bare-handed water). And yes, the ideal solution would be to figure out how to keep one's hands warm enough to be dextrous, and if you can figure out how to do that in very cold water, more power to you, because I can't.

Just switch to the smaller snap, you get used to it and in short order you'll wonder what the fuss was. The big clips end up double clipping with stages or leashes and that is a royal pain to sort out with or without gloves. For single tank diving its no big deal but its always nice to focus on more complicated end points early.

Clipping into a clip is bad news! Do it with a steel bottle, and you can forget about fixing it yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom