HP vs LP steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi dl348:

I'm glad to read that you're happy with your new Worthington low pressure 95 cuft cylinders, but I disagree with your statement, "You can overfill..."

Pressurizing the LP-Series beyond 2640 psi is outside of the DOT specifications, Worthington Cylinders design and the recommendation of XS Scuba.

If you believe some myth that these low pressure cylinders are really high pressure cylinders downgraded by the manufacturer to 2400+ psi, you're wrong.

Our X-Series cylinders, also manufactured by Worthington, are high pressure cylinders designed for fill pressures up to 3442 psi. These cylinders are manufactured from a different steel alloy, different tooling and different design.

The specifications of all steel cylinders manufactured by Worthington can be found at this link: http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel.html

dl348:
I have a set of Worthington LP 95s and couldn't be happier with them. You can overfill them to approx. 3000-3300 psi and increase your bottom time if you want.
They're great.

XS Scuba:
Hi dl348:

I'm glad to read that you're happy with your new Worthington low pressure 95 cuft cylinders, but I disagree with your statement, "You can overfill..."

Pressurizing the LP-Series beyond 2640 psi is outside of the DOT specifications, Worthington Cylinders design and the recommendation of XS Scuba.

If you believe some myth that these low pressure cylinders are really high pressure cylinders downgraded by the manufacturer to 2400+ psi, you're wrong.

Our X-Series cylinders, also manufactured by Worthington, are high pressure cylinders designed for fill pressures up to 3442 psi. These cylinders are manufactured from a different steel alloy, different tooling and different design.

The specifications of all steel cylinders manufactured by Worthington can be found at this link: http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel.html
Good point,

In my opinion, you are better off if you get a high pressure cylinder and want to UNDERFILL it. That is of course bringing into consideration cost, weight, capacity at your desired pressures, etc.

Mark Vlahos

I have double PST 120's big and heavy but not as big and heavy as my buddies Faber LP 108's. Have to use 10 lbs to stay down once the tanks drop to 1000 psi. Even if you can not get a full fill, at 3000 psi you have 103 cuft in each tank.

Why I like HP Steels:

Most gas and least displacement.
80s, 100s & 120s dive slightly negative to nearly neutral.
7.25" diameter fits any rack, and more tanks fit in the rack.
HP 100s reach the seat when you sit down, good for resting and balance.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom