HP100 vs LP95 steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im picking up the tanks mentioned used at a good savings. They dont have 130's just al 80 lp 95 hp 100 and hp 119's :)

I was once in your shoes and everyone around here was telling me to go with LP. However since i was shopping for XS scuba tanks I did my own calculations based on the tank dimensions/working pressure etc.

As you can see from: XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications

LP95 and HP119 are very similar in every aspect but pressure rating. Meaning that at the same pressure they hold about the same amount of gas. Since HP is rated higher and it is more likely (outside of the cave country) one gets a fill at 3442 for HP than LP tank I went with HP.

I didn't go with HP130 because they were too long and would be more difficult not to be feet heavy since I am short. (For the same reason I didn't go with HP120.)

Every tank monkey I've been to fills almost all tanks the same. You bring them a aluminum, lp steel, or hp steel and your gonna get the same fill. That is the problem with HP tanks. They fill em to 3500 hot and they cool to 3000-3100. Also, I am referring to Worthington hot dipped galvanized LP-85 tanks which are 7.25" diameter.

None of the shops around here do. One shop fills HP tanks to 4000 and LP's to their rated pressure, while the other fills my HP tanks to 3700 and my LP's to 2200.

I find the shops are more hesitant to overfill LP tanks. They're often somewhat wary of them, particularly the older ones. HP tanks on the other hand they just fill to the same pressure as their banks.

I have LP and hp douples for sale. I also have a couple of single LP steel 104s to sell if your interested. I live in the St. Paul area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom