HP50....is it that much better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All. First post on Scubaboard but I've been following for a long time.

I'm looking to upgrade my light from a bigblue AL1200np. It's a great light but brightness annoyingly drops off near end of dive. For my next light I would like more brightness (don't we all) and have it be consistent through the dive. It needs to last 80 minutes minimum at full power and be able to handle multiple back to back dives. (Replacing batteries between dives seems like the best option for this). I am also starting to go down the path of tech cave diving...so I would also like a light that can take me there.

I'm not interested in Bigblue lights until they level their burnoff profile.

The Dive Rite HP50 seems like a great option. The Cree XHP50.2 is efficient and 4X18650 seems both convenient and capable. When I started looking for other lights with Cree XHP50.2 or XHP70.2, I came across the Acebeam D46. It is much cheaper than HP50, uses XHP70.2 cree, and same batteries as the HP50. Is the HP50 worth the extra price?

I trust Dive Rite, and use their gear. So I'm hoping somebody can help me feel justified in spending so much more money for the HP50.

Thanks!

only issue with the HP50 is that the beam pattern is fairly wide so it doesn't penetrate as much as you'd expect. I'd hold off on investing in a light for right now potentially until after cave training as you may find your light requirements change.
Nothing against Dive Rite or the HP50, I just bought an LX20 for when I don't need or want to take my UWLD, rare, but I also justified it as a glorified backup light in case something really goes sideways

Thanks tbone. Why did you choose LX20 over HP50 handheld for your case?...beam pattern?

I use an LX20 for most of my dives. Plenty of burn time for 2+ hrs of diving. I have a couple friends who dive HP50s and really like them. I have not noticed the beam being too much different from my LX20, but they do seem noticeably brighter.

A bit off topic, but for those of you who have tried both the diverite lx20 and the xtar d26, is there a big difference in light output between those two?

Thanks tbone. Why did you choose LX20 over HP50 handheld for your case?...beam pattern?

beam angle. If I am going to use it as a primary, it's going to be in smaller/silty type passages or in the OW and the HP50 is just too wide IMO.

Beam angle has been fine for me in big ole wide open passages in Ginnie and smaller stuff. There is little to no difference between my HP50 and my buddies LM35 or my other buddies UWLD35. It is like comparing different flavors of vanilla ice cream and that comes back down to preference. The spot on the HP50 is plenty tight enough to signal and I can see wall to wall in all but the biggest passages, which my buddies lights also do not go wall to wall.

My biggest problem with the HP50 is the stupid switch. I’ve had it on maybe 50 dives and I’ve had it completely stick twice, to the point I’ve had to disassemble the sliding part. Why oh why doesn’t it have a piezo!

Spot is fine for signaling, and flood is a tradeoff: it does light up a room nicely, but does not give you that underwater lazer feel like I’ve seen with my buddy’s UWLD lights. Is the HP50 too wide? I wish it were a bit tighter, but I’ve seen divers diving with much wider quite happily.

For me, it’s just that stupid switch. I’m especially salty because I had to disassemble it at 11 last night because I couldn’t turn it off after testing after charging... not what I needed the night before a dive! :)

From what I can see the battery canister on the hp50 is made of plastic, which puts me off. Is the lx20 body completely made out of metal?

My biggest problem with the HP50 is the stupid switch. I’ve had it on maybe 50 dives and I’ve had it completely stick twice, to the point I’ve had to disassemble the sliding part. Why oh why doesn’t it have a piezo!

Spot is fine for signaling, and flood is a tradeoff: it does light up a room nicely, but does not give you that underwater lazer feel like I’ve seen with my buddy’s UWLD lights. Is the HP50 too wide? I wish it were a bit tighter, but I’ve seen divers diving with much wider quite happily.

For me, it’s just that stupid switch. I’m especially salty because I had to disassemble it at 11 last night because I couldn’t turn it off after testing after charging... not what I needed the night before a dive! :)
What's causing the sticking?

Back
Top Bottom