Hub System?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W isn't really any more or less advanced than any other BC, although more advanced divers often prefer it because of it's reliability. It's very easy to get used to if it's adjusted correctly, but correct adjustment can be deceptively tricky if you don't have some guidance from someone experienced with how tight it should be, and where the plate should rest on your back. Once it's set right though, it's a perfect fit.

IMHO, a backplate's a backplate, and one's pretty much as good as another providing there aren't any sharp edges left from the machining process. Of course, if there are it just takes a little work with a grinder or file to fix it for good. The things to consider are these:
Do you want steel or aluminium? In other words, how much negative bouyancy do you need?
Do you want slots for cam bands if you're diving single tanks, or do you want a single tank adapter?

Since there's so much similarity, I recommend Hammerhead backplates http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/, because I hear good things about them, they include a single tank adapter, and they're among the least expensive.

As for wings, I've used DiveRite's Rec wing for both singles and doubles, and consider it adequate but not great. It's a little small for doubles (not bad for double AL80s), and a little big (but not bad) for singles. I now have a Halcyon Pioneer for diving singles, and really like it. I'm also happy with the OxyCheck wing I have for doubles, although I haven't had either long enough to comment on how durable they are.

molksmith:
What is your opinion of the HUB system?
While one could look at the HUB as an example one of the many products that make the diving world go around, I think it's completely overengineered and an aberration. Of course, it's a free world and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

jonnythan:
I got my bp/wing with about 25 or 30 dives and haven't looked back since. I know two people who got theirs with less than 10 dives and they were super impressed.

Though I am not one of the two people he is referring to, I belong to the same category. I got my BP+Wing setup with I only have logged about 30 dives. I agree that dive experiences aren't a requirement for adopting BP+Wing. It just take some adjustments switching from jacket-style BC over to BP+Wing setup.-It took me only one dive in it to make me fall in love with it.

But I do know of people not liking BP+Wing. So there is no best for everyone.

molksmith:
I wasn't sur which route to go. BP/W seems pretty advanced. I have a little less than 100 dives.
BP/W seem like a great idea. How easy is it to adjust to?
Any recommendations for a particular brand or style of BP/W?

I'll chime in here. Not to turn this into a "BP+W is sooooooo great because" thread, but... I'm a noob and use a BP+W. I have 35 total dives so far. My first 20 dives were before I bought a BC, so I rented jackets (hated them) and backinflate (improvement). My LDS let me rent a BP+W before I bought it, and I'm glad I did. I now have 15 dives in my BP+W and can't fathom diving in anything else.

My BP is DiveRite, but that doesn't really matter, as most of them are very similiar. Just make sure it doesn't have any sharp edges that may fray your webbing. My wing is an OMS 35 lb, which is enough bouyancy. I would be wary of someone who tries to push a wing with more than 35 lbs of bouyancy (as too-big wings can cause many other problems).

Luckily, my LDS helped me to rig it my new BP+W when I bought it. I was a little unsure how to do that early on. Now, I have de-rigged and re-rigged it several times to fine-tune it (OK, I like to tinker). If you have an LDS who caters to the BP+W crowd, that would be a good bet. My favorite LDS does, but still sells 40 regular BC's for every one BP+W (I asked them). Buying a BP+W is much more involved than a regular BC, and I'm very grateful for all their help.

Good luck,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom