Hydes Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hydes is a small quarry (10 acres) that I like a lot, but doesn't have many ammenities. I like it because it is close and I can practice skills there. It is a no frills kind of quarry, a Millbrook lite if you will. Chainsaw why do you drive to PA when you are so close to OC and a lot of cool wrecks? Sorry for the potential highjack.

If anyone is interested in meeting at Hydes I will go if the boss (read wife) will let me. Just PM me

Chainsaw...I may be at Bainbridge on Saturday. I'm worried about the VERY cold temps, as I've never dived in water that cold, and the last report in early March had the water temps at 39! I am borrowing a 7mm wetsuit with a hood, and 5mm gloves and boots. I don't know if I'm insane or not, but I'm trying to log more dives and get used to my new gear before my warm water trip in June. Are you using a drysuit?

If I make it I will be bringing a dry suit. My wet suit is a 3mm and would do me no good at all. Where are you off to in June. Im headed to Florida later this month for a week.

Oyster I go to PA because of a friend that lived up that way. Its an hour closer than Rawlings and I didnt know about Hydes. Is there an address for Hydes or a web site.

The person that was going to go with me to PA has bailed. Not sure if I will be able to making the trip. Will know more in a few hours.

Won't be there this weekend (still too cold for us wet types) but hope to spend plenty of time there once the water warms up a bit. For us, it's almost a no-brainer. We're about 10 minutes from the quarry. It takes longer to go get airfills...

At the end of march I heard the surface temp was about 42F -- curious to hear if, or how much it's warmed up since then...

Too Cold?

We had open water students at Bainbridge on the 5th and 6th... in one piece 7mm suits... our Cressi Comfort 7mm Semi Dry. The water temp at Bainbridge was a toasty 46 at the surface and 42 at 45 feet on the cement mixer.

Students did extremely well and said they were surprised they didn't feel colder then they did. The visibility was a whopping 40 feet plus. By far the best I've ever seen at Bainbridge.

I think even LenMonster thought it was toasty... he was diving with us too.

I tested the new Down 130 one piece 6.5mm suit and it was great also. I was in the water for 45 minutes before I got a real chill. I lasted 54 minutes before I finally called it quits. Not bad for a one piece 7mm in 42-46F water.

Check our schedules and/or call the store... we dive often!

Yeah...Seriously that Cressi 7mm wetsuit was fine. The wrist and neck seals really kept the water from seeping much. I wasn't in long (I outlasted the DM who had already dived a bit earlier that day), but the cold was not an issue, really. I was very comfortable, and look forward to going back.

I've never been to Hydes quarry. I have been to bainbridge and guppy gulch, and out of those two I like bainbridge better. It has better visibility in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom